I, like many of you, have been trying to think of ways to save money anywhere I can. We really don't have a ton of "extras" that we spend money on all the time, so I am trying to be creative. Making a menu always helps when you go get groceries, because then you only buy what you need. But, I will admit that have not been doing that great lately. I am trying to do better. I have started to make my own laundry soap which is working out very nicely so far, and is saving some money there!
Well, about two weeks ago I was making my shopping list when I saw that I needed more dishwasher soap. First, I must say that I am so thankful for my dishwasher. When we lived in P'cola those first two years, I did not have one, so now I am spoiled by having one. Not that it is an excuse or anything, but I really do get a backache if I am standing for too long, so after making a meal, the last thing I need or want to do is stand there and do dishes! So I love it that I can just load up my dishwasher really fast and press start and viola! they get clean!
Anyways, I ran out of soap, so, while getting all our other stuff, I went to get the soap. Now, I am not really particular on the brand (although my mom told me that a plumber told her that Cascade liquid is the best for your machine), but I am particular on smell. If it smells like green apple or orange, I don't like it. I either like lemon or just plain soap smell. Well, I was looking at the choices, when I saw one that was the same size as the Cascade and Electrosol, but was only $2. It is the brand Palmolive, and it was lemon scented. And, to make it even better on the conscience, it is "environmentally friendly" because it is made without some chemical that is bad for our land and water. So, I thought to myself, "Self, this looks like a great buy!" So, I bought it, glad that I was doing my part to save the environment and save us money.
Well, let me tell you, I HATE THAT STUFF!!!!!!! Ever since I started using it, all (and by all, I mean ALL) my dishes come out with a gross white film on them. It makes everything look dingy and dirty. My drinking glasses all look cloudy, my silverware doesn't look silver, and my pots look like water boiled over on them and dried there. I have had to rinse off almost all my dishes before I put them away. As I was doing this today, I was grumbling to myself saying, "Self, what's the point of having a dishwasher if you have to wash them after they have been washed!!!" So, I decided I am not even going to finish the bottle. We bought good old Cascade (which costs $4 - but now I don't mind the extra $2). So what if I am "hurting" the environment with my soap? At least my dishes are clean! :-) So what's the moral of the story? Don't buy Palmolive dishwasher soap. It is stupid. Whew. Glad I got the word out. Now you all won't make the same mistake I did.
Other than that, we are doing great. Yesterday we went to Houlton, Maine. It is only about a 15-20min drive, and it is where we buy gas and milk. Gas in the states is still cheaper than here, and milk is half the cost. We were excited that we were able to fill up the tank for only $30, when about 2 months ago it was costing us twice as much or more! Then we went to Walmart, where we got our milk. The last few times we have been there we have looked at a convertible car seat for Leila. It is a pretty pink with flowers on it. Well, the price was just "slashed" so we have been thinking about getting it for her. There was only one left, and who knows when they will get more, or even if they will, so we went ahead and bought it. We already moved her to it because she is just plain too long for the other seat, plus it is getting way too heavy to carry around. So, she is a stylin chic in her way cool car seat. I will take a picture so you all can see it. I love it!
Now, an update on Operation Christmas Tree: Matt has conceded and I do not have to wait until after Thanksgiving, but rather, we will decorate next Friday night. Not exactly what I wanted, but I will take it! So I can't wait! We will get it all out after the kids are in bed, so Liam will be surprised when he wakes up and sees it! Next year we will probably let him decorate with us.
I think that is all for now. I had some really cute pics to put on here, but my batteries in the camera need to be charged before I can get them off. So I will maybe post them tomorrow. Please continue to pray for us. Clarice's viewing is tomorrow, and the funeral at 2 p.m. on Monday. Have a great day everyone! Ta-ta!
1 comment:
Hmm... sounds like you are doing better now that you got your dishwasher soap issue off your chest :) We are so proud of Matt for letting you put your tree up early :)
Post a Comment