Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day One

Well, we did not get stuck in Bathurst, but we did get a ton of snow. Probably about 15" in about 10 hours or less. But, by lunch time on Thursday, we were able to leave, so we did. The ride was basically uneventful, which is a good thing. We did not attend the funeral because it was moved to later that day.

On the way home, Matt and I were talking, and I made the decision to just go ahead and start potty training Liam now. So, yesterday was the "big day!" We woke up in the morning, and I had a chat with Liam. I showed him the sticker chart I made for him, and told him how if he went in the potty, he could put a sticker on his chart. Once he gets to a certain point, he gets a special reward! I tried to make it as fascinating and exciting as I could, and he got excited right along with me.

Because Liam LOVES Thomas the Train, I decided to do that as my theme for the chart. I got a poster board, and drew on it 4 train stations, connected by a railroad. Each time he makes it to a new train station with his stickers, he gets a new little train to go along with one of his train sets. I will take a pic of the chart so you can see what I mean. I am definitely NOT an artist, but he doesn't seem to care!

So anyways, we looked at the chart, then I said, "Okay Liam, no more diapers! And we put on his big boy pants. We bought some that he picked out that have Curious George on them, but also some others that are boxer briefs. Let me just say he looks so stinkin cute in the boxer brief ones! (Matt and I do not want Liam to wear "whitey tighties!")

So, the whole day was spent of me watching the clock and constantly putting Liam on the potty. At first, I was doing it every 30 mins, but quickly learned that I needed to do it more often - so we changed to every 15 mins.

Now, I am pleased to announce to you that, according to my standards, I think we had a very successful day! We did have several accidents - but that was more in the morning when I was putting him on every 30 mins. In all, he went on the potty(#1) 4 times! Now, I am sure this is fascinating stuff, hearing about Liam's potty training, but I do know that this blog is almost like my journal, so I wanted to record what happened so I would remember!

Anyways, here is a little list of things I learned on Day One of potty training:
1. Make sure you have more than 6 pairs of underwear for them. You go through them fast.
2. Don't plan on getting much else done around the house. It won't get done.
3. I am thankful that I have no carpet in most of my house. It is a lot easier to clean up messes!
4. Make a HUGE deal out of any measure of success - whether big or small. The smile on their face is so precious and makes the next time easier for them to be motivated.
5. Put books, cards, coloring stuff, etc. for them to do while on the potty. It helps them stay there longer and keeps them distracted so they don't get impatient.

So, today we are on Day Two. Already we have had HUGE success! (By that, I mean Liam going #2!!!!) I am so proud of him! We shall see how the rest of today goes!

Matt is at a men's conference at the local Bible school all day today, so I am on my own! I guess I definitely won't be doing much else other than spending quality time with Liam in the bathroom! I hope all reading this have a great day! I hope to! I am excited because Matt and I are going to watch Fireproof tonight after the kids go to bed. I hear it is a great movie! I will let you know my opinion later!
Until next time!

Here is his chart. He gets one sticker for #1, and 2 for #2! Looks like he will be getting a new train soon!
Here is the snow piled up on our front porch. It is about 3 feet, I think. Good thing we always use the other door!



Leila found he feet last week.

Leila, our skinny minnie getting a bath in the sink. She loves the water.
Nothing like a blue popsicle!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I just bought "Fireproof" today! I also got a "love dare" book at B&N. We're visiting my inlaws and they have some great shopping stores round here! Good thing we don't live any closer, it's too expensive. But most of what I got was on clearance so that was great! Good work, Liam! Way to potty like a big boy! P.S. I don't like tighty whitys either. Ha!