Thursday, March 11, 2010

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That basically sums up how I have been feeling lately. We have officially entered the proverbial "terrible twos!" I know some people say this is a cop-out excuse as to their toddlers behavior, but I do think there is some truth to it. It is around this stage that children realize that they have a will and they start trying to use that will. It is more pronounced with children with stronger personalities.

We experienced some battle with Liam, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING like we are going through with Leila. She is one strong willed little girl. And she is really, REALLY trying to exert her will in everything and anything. These last two weeks have been very trying with her. We have tantrums, we have screaming, we have throwing items, we have hitting, we have crying, we have running away from mommy and daddy - only to name a few! It seems that most everything is a battle and some days I am at my wits end as to know what to do. Liam is such a sensitive boy - he can be corrected once, and it usually does the trick (with that particular thing we were dealing with). Even just having a firm voice with him will bring him to tears and calm him down most of the time.

But not Leila. She just looks straight back at you with a "Try and make me" look in her eyes. Matt and I are having to try different things to see if they work and get through to her. Some things are working, but others are not. One day in particular last week I was so emotionally exhausted at the end of the day from dealing with her I just wanted to cry. It is frustrating and sometimes even discouraging.

Now, I don't want you all to think that she is an absolute terror - she isn't THAT bad, but she is bucking against our authority on most things. It can really wear on you.
The Bible is clear on the fact that parents are to correct and rebuke their children, but when it comes to "practical" specific direction, it does not state. So I have been reading several books to help us get some ideas and maybe suggestions on new things to try.

Many of you are probably familiar with the book, "Don't Make Me Count to Three." I have read it before, but am re-reading it, and getting much more out of it this time. Basically, the book is about being sure that you are not getting just an attitude change, but rather a heart change in your child. The author raises many good points and gives quite a few suggestions on how to handle certain situations. It is helping me - especially in encouraging me that we are not the only parents to ever encounter a strong willed child.

Another book Matt brought home the other day was "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Dr. Kevin Leman. He has written other popular books, such as "Sheet Music" (a must read for married couples, in my opinion!) and "The Birth Order Book." He is a very good author and very easy to read and puts in a lot of humor in his writing.

Anyway, Matt brought this book home for several reasons. One being that he has been asked quite a bit about it, and we never recommend a book that we have not read, so we are seeing if it is worthy of recommendation. And Secondly, we are seeking advice ourselves. And let me tell you, I really like it so far. His basis in parenting is generally things we all know and agree with, but sometimes forget.

One of his "catch phrases" are, "Decide what's a mountain, and what's a molehill." Basically, choose your battles. But anyway, I won't go and paraphrase his book, but so far he has really gotten me to rethink some things on how I react and correct, etc.

So, we are working with Leila and trying to win this battle of the wills. It is not easy, but I would much rather do this now with my kids when they are young rather than when they are a teenager. It would be so much harder then!

Besides that, everything else is going pretty smoothly. Matt has been busy visiting more lately, due to the fact that a couple in our church found out last week that their 43 year old son-in-law has colon cancer and 4 spots on his brain. They have started radiation on his brain today and have made aggressive plans to try to kill this cancer fast. The prognosis is not too good. This man's only child, a son, comes to our Sunday school and kid's program. We are just praying for him and his whole family. The man has not been to church in a while and I am not really sure of his spiritual status. Please pray for this family during this time, as well as us to be an encouragement to them.

Matt and I are planning a little get away next week for a few days. Matt really needs a break to try to get some rest, and I would love to just get away myself. WE are planning to just go to Bangor, Maine which is about 2 hours from here. I have some birthday money that I want to spend - I would love some new clothes! I still have clothes that I wore my freshman year of college 9 years ago! Plus, after three kids, things fit differently now, so I could really use some new things!

We are taking Libby with us (obviously since I a nursing) but leaving the other two with Matt's parents. It will be about 3 nights. I am for sure going to miss them, but know that it will be easier to shop without them around. And Matt's parents have been very busy traveling lately, and have not seen the kids much, so I know they will enjoy spending time with them.
Well, that's all for now. I trust all is well with everyone reading this!

(oh, and just so you know, this is not the post "All about Leila" like I did with Liam. Her's will be coming shortly! Even though she is trying my patience lately, there are still MANY cute and very good things to say about her! She disobeys - but sure looks cute doing it! :-) )

Until next time....

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job with Leila! Those books are nice to read because sometimes they reinforce that some things you are doing WILL eventually work. :-) We had a doozy of a time with Qade for awhile, but it is good to look back so that we can see the victories along the way. Hope you guys have a fun get-a-way!! Sounds like it'll be fun for you! I actually found some good stuff at Ross after Myles that "fit" better after babies. :-) Now it's all packed away, and I'm just hoping it still fits good after baby #3!

Lena said...

hey I need to borrow those books from you sometime... We are in the same shoes, and I count to 3 about 100 times a day :(