Friday, June 25, 2010

Leila's Story

(FYI - this is a long post! ;-))

I can hardly believe I am typing this, but tomorrow is Leila's 2nd birthday!  Wow.  Time just goes by too, too fast.  I just can't believe it.  But anyways, in honor of her birthday, I am going to write her birth story (I don't think I have done this before!  Sorry if I have!)

We had been living here in Canada for about 4 months and were settling in to our new lives as "Pastor Matt and Emily."  I was adjusting to life in Canada, which is more different than I was expecting it to be.  We had just celebrated Liam's 1st birthday and life was just going along.  I will admit that I did have the "baby bug" a little bit - I did want to have another baby, but was just waiting on the Lord's timing.  Matt and I leave all that up to Him.  So we had not really been thinking about it too much and were not trying for anything.  But, when October came but "something" did not come, I was pretty sure I was pregnant.  You can pretty much set your calendar by me - not that you needed to know that.  Anyways, Matt is a pretty observant husband, and noticed it too, so off we went to by a pregnancy test.  Haha - I always buy the ones with 2 tests in them - because I never believe the first one (and usually the second one! ha!).  It is just that I have always wanted to be a mommy, and the fact that God has been allowing it is just so wonderful to me!

So anyway, the test said "yes" and we said, "Yay!"  We then got a little worried because I was not yet a permanent resident in Canada, and had no health coverage, and independent insurance was astronomically high - which would not cover the pregnancy costs anyway since it was a "pre-existing condition."  So we immediately began to pray for the Lord to provide, as we knew He would.  And he did.  It didn't all work out until after Leila was born, but it all got paid and we are so thankful.

As any mother can tell you, once you know a baby is on the way, your dreams, prayers, and plans for that baby begin to consume your thoughts.  It was no different with me.  My pregnancy went relatively uneventful, which is great.  I didn't have any problems, just all the normal stuff like being tired and backaches and lack of sleep.  But, it was all good.  I had my regular appointments and got more and more excited about having another baby.  We got the ultrasound done, but did not find out the gender of the baby.  That was for one simple reason - they would not tell us.  It was "policy" back then to not tell anyone at our hospital (which they have changed since then.)  So, we were left "in the dark" about that, though I had a pretty good feeling it was a girl.

 My sister graduated from college then headed up the first week of June to be with us until the baby was born.  So she came and we just waited.  By that time, I was 3 weeks from my due date (June 25) and was getting desperate to have her.  I was so uncomfortable, hot, and tired.  So I walked.  And I walked.  All the time.  The people in our neighborhood got to know me from seeing me walking all the time.  It eventually got to the point that they would see me walking and would say, "You haven't had that baby yet??"  Hmmm... Don't say that to a tired, uncomfortable, hot and grumpy pregnant woman.  Just don't! :-)

So, we were waiting, and I was even considering castor oil (don't worry - I wouldn't do it!).  I so much wanted to have the labor part over with, now that I knew what that was all about!  But, everything was taking its course and I was left just waiting.  I did have the thought that, maybe, since I am "on time" for the other "stuff," and since I had Liam right on his due date, maybe this would be the same?   But no, I said.  I read that only something like 5% of women have their babies on the due date, and even less do it more than once.  Well... I have always done things a little differently than most people!

It was the day of my due, I mean, my due date - June 25, 2008.  I was having small contractions, but nothing even remotely painful.  It was a Wednesday and I went in to the dr. that morning to have a non-stress test done.  I was there for a little over an hour, and they could see that I was contracting, but nothing major, so they sent me home.  I was about 2 cm dilated, but that is pretty common for a woman who has had a baby before.  I did have them strip my membranes, though.  The dr. on call that day told me before I left, "Well, I am here until 7 tomorrow morning, so you are welcome to come back anytime and give me something to do!"  I told him I would try and off we went to do some walking.  It was a couple hours later that I started to feel the contractions a little more.

Meanwhile, my mom was on her way driving from Bangor, ME to be with me after the baby was born.  We jokingly were saying that my mom was just going to arrive and we were going to say, "Hi, Mom!  Bye, Mom!" and rush off to the hospital (she was going to stay home with Liam).  Well, it was supper time, and my mom had arrived and we were eating (and I, for some stupid reason, ate NACHOS!  Bad idea - not a pretty sight a few hours later during labor!).  Matt and I decided that he should go to church since we really hadn't planned for anyone to cover the service and off he went, knowing that he could get called at anytime (the ladies in the church were all mad at him for leaving me to come to church!).  Amanda and I went out walking again.  We saw one of the ladies that I saw often on my walks, and she looked at me and said, "Are you in labor?"  Haha.  I told I thought I was in the beginnings of it!

Well, Matt came home from church and the contractions were becoming more regular, but not more painful.  We started timing them and they were very consistent - 4-5 mins apart and had been for an hour or so.  I wasn't in too much pain, though, so I wasn't sure what to do.  But then, I started to have some bloody show (sorry to be gory!) and so I decided that we should head on out.  By this time, it was about midnight.  I hugged my mom, started to get choked up and told her, "Take care of my little boy for me!" and we left.  I said that to her, not because I didn't trust her - I knew she would do just fine with Liam, but because I sorta felt that with this new baby coming, Liam would be growing up a bit and he wouldn't be my little baby anymore.  You know - hormones do some pretty strange things to your mind and emotions!

It took us about 10 minutes to get to the hospital, I checked in and they got me all set up.  The dr. came in and said, "You did come back!"  He checked and I was maybe 4 cm, but he said I could stay anyways.  He asked me if I wanted him to break my water, which I did because I knew then it would all happen fast.

He broke my water and that's when the contractions became - uh - HARD!  Another "policy" this hospital had was that an epidural is NOT an option unless you are having a c-section.  But that was okay.  I didn't want one.  But they did offer me a gas (I can't remember what it is called, but it is good stuff!  Haha!  I used it with Libby, too.  It doesn't take all the pain away, just makes them more bearable. And there are no lasting affects - once you stop breathing it in - which you do only during the contraction - it leaves and you aren't "hung-over" for hours afterwards.).  The gas was great and I just breathed through the contractions for a little over an hour.  Then, it was TIME to push.  You girls who have had babies know what I mean.  I told them this, they checked and yup!  It was time.

We got all ready and the dr. just told me to do what my body told me.  Boy that was great.  With Liam they were telling me when to push, then counting out loud (and what seemed like SUPER slow...) but now it was all up to me.  And that was great - it made me much more relaxed instead of stressed at all the counting and wanting to slap the nurse who was counting!

Matt was helping me by supporting my head and back, and Amanda was the great nurse who was putting cold cloths on my forehead and giving me water when I needed it.  I pushed for about 30 mins.  And let me tell you - it hurt.  I did not remember that with Liam because I was "doped" up on a narcotic so I didn't feel too much.  But with Leila (and Libby) I had no pain killer.  So I was very much wanting that baby out of me.  I am sure I was pretty funny to hear.  Little me making a LOT of noise.  I do know that at one point after pushing I looked at the dr. and said, "Can't you just pull it out?"  They all laughed at me, though I remember not thinking it even slightly funny at the time.  I was very serious.  Amanda laughs at me because she says I kept saying, "Owie, Owie."  Ahh... Just wait Amanda.  Your day will come!;-)

So, I had been pushing for about 32 mins and then I felt it.  The most WONDERFUL feeling in the world.  Little Leila Claire came out, screaming and as beautiful as can be.  I remember waiting to hear the gender when they said, "Its a girl!"  I immediately looked to Matt and saw the PROUDEST and most smitten Daddy ever.  He was crying and the kissed me and said, "We have a girl!"  I couldn't believe it.  "Do you have a name?" they were all asking and I said, "Yes.  Her name is Leila Claire."  I looked at Amanda when I said this, because Amanda's middle name is Claire.  How special for Amanda to be there at the birth of her "namesake."  She did not know we were naming her that.

Leila Claire Sealy was born on June 26, 2008, at 4:07 a.m. - just hours after her due date.  She was 7 pounds, 10 ounces and was 19 1/4 inches long.  She had fuzzy hair all over her head was absolutely perfect.  We could not have been happier.  I was able to nurse her immediately, which I was not able to do with Liam.  Then Matt got busy texting (and calling) our families to give them the good news.  I remember talking to my mom on the phone, hearing the joyful tears in her voice saying, "A girl, Emily!"   And I replying, "I know!  I am so happy!"

 I had always thought that I wanted to have all boys, but once I saw my beautiful baby girl, I knew that I had changed my mind (good thing! haha!).  While they were doing all the "stuff" they do with a newborn, I got up, had the BEST shower, (such a wonderful feeling!) and we headed to our new hospital room.  I, obviously exhausted from giving birth, fell sound asleep.  Matt spent the next several hours holding his precious daughter, talking to her, and giving her his advice.  He later told me that he made a deal then and there with her.  He told her how much he loved her, but that he would let her grow up on day and get married (like maybe around age 52).  But, the stipulation was this -she could only marry the boy if the boy loved her more than her daddy loves her.  Hmmm... Guess she's never getting married! :-)

Later that day brought visitors and Liam meeting his sister for the first time.  I felt incredibly normal - still not sure how I was able to feel so well after having just given birth.  That there is the Lord.  I was not sore or anything!  Praise the Lord!  The next day at lunch time we headed home to start life as a family of 4.

And here we are, 2 years later.  Leila is a little girl who knows what she wants!  :-)  She is such a beautiful little girl who won't sit still for more than about 3 minutes unless she is sleeping.  She will literally talk your ear off (from all that I gather as "average" for talking for a two year old - she is quite a bit ahead.  Definitely her mommy's girl - she loves to talk!).  She does give us our challenges and we are working on those, but she is such a joy and we love her more than she will ever know.  She is a Daddy's girl through and through, and is mommy's Leila Girl - my little sweet pea.

We are so blessed to have you as our daughter, Leila!  Our prayer for you is that you will keep your spirited outlook on life - to love being active and energetic.  We pray that you will come to know Christ early on, and to live your life to honor Him.  We pray that your husband out there will be godly and loving to you.  We love you, Leila Girl!  Happy birthday!

Come back tomorrow for my "Scenic Saturday" where there will be pictures of Leila over the past 2 years!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I still can't get over that she is 2.....these past two years have gone so quickly!