Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Big Things Are Happening Around Here!

Okay, so this is not the post that I have been mentioning off and on that has been swirling through my head.  It isn't quite ready.  I don't want to say anything that I will regret, so that is why it is not posted just yet.  Oh, don't worry.  It really isn't anything fantastic or anything.  Just something that has been on my heart and mind a lot lately and I want to say - just in the right way.

So, on to our day.  First of all, we are all exhausted!!!!  Last week at camp really took a toll on us.  Matt especially.  Coming off a whole week of camp, speaking two times a day (besides 2 times of staff devos a day) and heading right into a full Sunday of speaking really wears a man out!  Poor guy.  He was able to sleep in some today so that was good.  The rest of us are very tired, but not as bad as Daddy.  This morning the kids and I played around with all their toys that they missed so much last week.  I have been wanting to go through all the toys and "purge" some stuff, so I started that today.  Funny, though.  Toys that they haven't touched in months they all of a sudden want to play with as soon as I pick it up to put it in the box. Hmmm... might have to have them go on a field trip with Daddy while I stay home and clean!  So I got a little bit of that done.

Then we headed out on our usually Monday family outing to the bank and to Houlton, Maine to pick up groceries and such.  That was not too bad, especially since it has been overcast and rainy all day and it was cooler than it has been.  Very glad for that.

Then we came home, the kids all took naps, and I continued to clean and organize since I haven't really had a chance to do that since we came home.  One thing I needed to do was give our kitchen chairs a good scrubbing.  They get wiped down often, but were quite sticky and grimy from little peanut-butter and jelly hands touching them all the time.  So I did that.  Also, while we were out, we got a new booster seat for Liam to sit in.  We have still been using the high chair for Leila, but she really is too big for it and has been for some time now.  So, we got a new booster seat for Liam and Leila is using the one Liam used to use (it sits higher than the new one).  So I got those all set up.

So, Leila is finally out of her high chair.  And just in time.  Today, I am excited to announce that my little Libby had her first veggie!  She has been eating rice cereal for a while, and today we started on some sweet potatoes.  She seemed to really like them.  Didn't even make a face at all.  Just ate them like it was nothing new.  Well, until they started to cool off a bit, then she started gagging.  Hehe.  It made me laugh.  Don't worry, though.  I warmed them up again.  I can't believe she will be 6 months in three days!  Wow!  This year is literally FLYING by!

And now, on to the biggest news of the day.  (Imagine drum roll.........) Leila used the potty for the first time ever!!!!!  YAY!!!!!  I actually was planning on officially starting next week.  So we bought her "big girl undies" today.  (Just a side note - I HATE the word "panties" and it is forbidden to be used in this house.  Just in case you were wondering!)  I was going to get the stuff to make her a chart and stickers and everything later on in the week and Monday morning, we were gonna go cold turkey just like I did with Liam.  I know she is ready for this - she has been for some time.  She will tell me almost every time before she goes, and even asks to use the potty.  I have been putting her on the potty a couple times, just to get her used to it.  Well, tonight Matt's parents were over and Leila said she had to go, so we ran, put her on and not one minute later - success!  We all did a little jig and made a huge deal over it and she even got FOUR smarties (Canadian version of M&Ms).  She was so excited and kept saying, "I go on the potty!"  Oh, and the funniest thing was, as soon as she was done and was getting her smarties, Liam ran, went to the potty, them came and said, "Mommy, I went potty.  Can I have my treat?"  Haha.  Not sure how I am going to handle that one!

Anyways, so that is a little of what is happening around here.  Big things for sure.  I am headed to bed now, hopefully to get some good sleep.  Matt and his dad are golfing in the morning, and my MIL, the kids and I are going to go check out a dresser for Liam's room that I spotted at a second hand store today.  We are gonna go "barter" the price and see if we can get it down some and then get it.  So, there you go!  Have a great night all!

Until next time....

P.S.  Dear Leila,
             In the future when you are reading this post that is now forever in our family "Memoirs," please don't be embarrassed about me bragging about you going potty (you went the BIG one, by the way! ;-) ).  And don't be embarrassed about me talking about your "big girl undies."  Just know that I am a proud momma and so happy that you initiated it all.  And if/when you are mommy someday, you will feel the same way!  And don't worry.  I won't pull this out and show it to your boyfriends to have them read it.  Well, maybe not until you get engaged.  We will see.  Hey!  At least I didn't take you picture like I was tempted to do! :-)  I just love you SO much, Leila Girl!
                                                                                                Love,
                                                                                                    Your very proud Mommy.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Panties is an especially unwelcome word when your mom accidentally uses it to refer to your SONS underwear a couple of times!! I had Qade trying to tell me that he wears panties, to which I firmly replied, "No, you wear unders!" Ha ha ha!
Way to go for big girl! I still can't get Qade to tell me he needs to g. That's a huge success for her!

Wendy said...

That is awesome Leila is going potty :) Hopefully it will continue to be an easy transition. I can't believe Libby is nearly 6 months. Time does fly.