Monday, August 2, 2010

And Life Goes On..

Today was the funeral for Brent.  I don't know anyone who enjoys going to those, but they are a part of  life.  I think there were a little over 100 people at the service.  It was a beautiful service where Matt as well as the other pastor were free to give a very clear presentation of the gospel.  Everyone who was there heard it so clearly and are now held accountable for what they have heard.  We now pray that it would sink deep into their hearts and that many - or even one - would receive Christ as their Saviour.  There was one unexpected thing that came up at the service.  As I believe I told you, Brent's family is catholic, and their priest showed up and the family (his parents, I think) added him in last minute.  So, for his part, he prayed a wrote prayer for Brent.  You know, one of those where he prays an intercessory prayer, and the congregation all responds throughout it, "Lord, hear our prayer."  (Well, I didn't say it - just so you know! :-) )  Also, he prayed at the graveside and had everyone quote the Lord's prayer.  I joked with Matt that it isn't everyday that you have a Baptist pastor, a Wesleyan pastor, and a Catholic priest all part of the same funeral service!

After the graveside service, there was a reception held at our church.  And let me tell you, there were SO many people there!  It was standing room only!  But there was a great spread of food provided by 9 ladies in our town where it is their mission to provide food for families at a time like this.  What a blessing!  And what a ministry!

While we were at the service the kids were here at home with the babysitter, Kathleen (or Kapleen or Caffeine, depending on who you ask - Liam or Leila!).  Kathleen is a single girl in our church and is a very sweet girl who is great with kids, and the kids love her.  When we came home, she showed us some video she took of the kids while they were playing with play-dough.  One of the videos, she was taping Liam and asking him some questions.  So she asked him, "Who is your most favorite person in the entire world?"  He thought for a second then said, "God!" while pointing up!  She said she did not coach him at all, she just asked that to see what he would say.  Let me tell you, that made my day!  I know that he does not understand all about being a Christian or all about God, but that was encouraging to me to see that he does have an awareness of God and how important He is to be in our lives.

I am sorry if I sound like I am bragging, but I have to say again how proud I am of Leila.  She is doing so well with potty training!  It has been since Thursday that she has had an accident.  She comes and tells us when she has to go, without us having to ask her.  She is getting this even faster than Liam!  To be honest, I am truly shocked.  I have heard that girls are easier, but this seems too good to be true.  But, I do think having an older sibling that is trained helps.  For my friends out there (Rachel!) who don't have as easy of a time, don't get discouraged!  I don't think it is anything necessarily that I do, just the personality of the kids.  And don't feel pressured to start training at any certain age.  I believe we need to truly wait until the child is ready.  Who cares what others say?  There is not "due date" one what age they must be trained by!  I'm pretty sure they won't go to school in diapers!  They will get it!  When I think that my kids are ready, I still wait another month or two, just to be sure!  I guess it works.  Okay, sorry.  Enough of that!

So, Libby is ever the chatter box these days.  I kid you not when I tell you that she said, clear as day, this morning, "Hi, Dada." Both Matt and I heard it.  Seriously.  She has said "hi" on several other occasions, and that is not just me saying it.  Others have heard it too.  Then, on Saturday she first said "Dada."  So, I guess we are three for three with the kids saying "dada" before "mama."  But really, its okay.  I only carried them for 40 weeks, then went through great pain to give birth, not using drugs for their sake, then nursed them for months on end, then wipe their dirty bums many times a day, then prepare their meals each day, and clean their clothes and.... So really, its fine that they say "dada" first.  Really. :-)

I don't know if I have given you an update on Luther lately.  He is doing well.  He FINALLY lost all his winter coat.  When we got him he was still losing it in clumps, and I was so  tired of having huge clumps of fur everywhere.  But it is better now - just in time for him to grow it back for winter!  Liam is still a bit scared of him, so we don't let him run free in the house.  Not ready for that just yet (although at night when the kids are in bed he comes in - but he seems to like the garage best.)  At night he sleeps in the garage.  And usually that is fine. Occasionally he will relieve himself on the floor, but it is always in the same place and not on anything but the floor.  But he is not doing it very often.  Except last night.  Last night is a totally different story.  We got up this morning to find that he had relieved himself (BOTH kinds) at least THREE times in the garage.  Also, he had gotten into a garbage bag that I had set out there and forgot to put in the garbage can.  There was rotten food, dirty diapers, and paper all over the floor!  And it stunk to high heaven!  So, Matt and I did an unplanned scrubbing of the garage floor this morning.  We swept, and mopped with cleaner the whole floor.  It took a while, and we were irritated with Luther, but now our garage floor looks so nice and clean!

Well, I am off to bed.  We are hoping for a little quieter week this week.  Matt was gone so much last week, we hope to take a family day at the end of the week and maybe go over to Maine.  Also, it is Old Home Week here.  It is sorta like the fair.  The faris wheel is all set up, there is a derby and all that fun stuff.  We hope to get out to that one night this week.  Today was a holiday, too.  New Brunswick Day.  That's all I know about that, though!  Haha.  Guess I should learn about it!

Hope everyone's day and weekend was good!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

We have been praying for that family in the church. What an experience at the funeral! You know what I thought the other day Em? I thought, "It would be so fun to go visit Emily". Maybe one day :)