I am a mother. To three gorgeous children. I love them with all that I am. I spend my days taking care of them, teaching them, doing things for them, loving them. Its hard to put into words the incredible love that fills my heart when I look at them. Actually, there really aren't words to describe it. But if you are a parent, then you know what I mean. I love my children so, so, so much. And I would do almost anything to be sure that they are safe and healthy and happy. If one of them need me - I will be there, no matter the time of day or night. And there have been times when they have cried out for me and I am right by their side before you can blink your eye.
I remember the night when Liam was just two years old and he woke up screaming in a way I have never heard before. He was way at the other end of the house, but I was up out of my bed and in his room faster than ever before. I thought he was having a seizure, but it turns out that he was having a night terror which does resemble a seizure but is not one. But I was there for him when he needed me.
I remember the day last year when I was sitting here at our computer and Leila was riding her tricycle around the house. All of a sudden I heard the noise of the wheels stop and a loud banging noise. I turned around and saw she was laying at the bottom of the steps, lying on her side with the her legs still straddling the trike with a dazed expression on her face. I flew down those steps to our basement to pick her up and check her out. I don't think my feet even hit one step. I think my heart may have even skipped a couple beats until I knew she was okay.
There have been times when my kids have been sick, or in pain, and I am there, holding them, kissing them, telling them I am there for them. And I always will be. When my children need me, when they cry out to me in fear or pain, I am there. And that's when I started thinking about what God did.
John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." Did you get that? God sent his only son to the world. This was God's only son that He was sending to us. Then, in Luke 22:42, the night before Jesus is crucified, He is praying to His father, and asks, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours be done." And later, when Jesus was dying on the cross (for my sin), He cries out to God saying, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Mark 15:34).
I look at that - Jesus crying unto God, crying out in pain and anguish, and then God having to turn His back on Jesus because of the sin of the whole world that is now in Jesus' shoulders. God, having to ignore the cries of His only son in order to complete the sacrifice that would pay the penalty for sin. God, not going to His only son to help Him out of His misery. And I am truly, inexplicably, humbled to my core.
Because it was all for ME.
It was all for me - to have my debt that I would never, ever be able to pay - completely cleared through that sacrifice. I can not even imagine ignoring the sincere cries of my children when they need me the most. I could never turn my back to them when they are crying out in pain, fear, or despair. I just couldn't do it. And I am only human feeling human emotions.
What an incredible sacrifice that God did for me. God loved me that much to sacrifice his only child, his only son, to die an unthinkably painful death. And all for me who does not nor ever will deserve it. What an incredible sacrifice.
So now I ask you - have you accepted that sacrifice? Have you come to Christ, accepting Him as your Saviour so that you can be totally "debt free" and able to have eternal life in heaven? And if you have, have you taken the time, especially this Easter time, to just fall on your knees and thank God for that sacrifice he made? Have you taken time to think about it, reflect on it? If you have not done so, I urge you to take the time to do so this weekend. The egg hunt can wait. The laundry will be there later. That t.v. show isn't that interesting. The meal can be served a little later than usual. Be sure to thank God for sacrificing His only son for you. Think about it. Especially if you have children. Would you be able to do the same? Somehow I don't think we could. What an incredible and awesome God we have.
How Deep The Father's Love For Us*
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
*Words by Stuart Townend
Until next time...
2 comments:
Really, really, enjoyed this post!! Thanks for sharing!
I didn't realize you had a blog but I look forward to reading more as the days go by.
We also have a family blog, feel free to take a look. The address is nicholsfamily04.blogspot.com.
How thoughtful and beautifully stated Emily....thank you for sharing.Happy Easter to you and your family....I love you, MOM
Post a Comment