Wednesday, June 13, 2012

To Marriage and Beyond

(This a continuation of ongoing posts  I have telling all about Our Story. I believe I last talked about our engagement and wedding day.)

We had a beautiful wedding, at least in my opinion.  Pretty much everything went just as we planned and before we knew it we were running to a limo through the line of our guests throwing rose petals at us and off we went on our honeymoon.  We spent the next two weeks traveling from Oklahoma where we were married up to New Brunswick.  We spent the first week in Gatlinburg, TN.  We had our van so we were able to just leisurely take our time heading up to Canada.  Once we arrived in New Brunswick, we began preparing to head up North to Nemeska, Quebec, to run the Bible camp that Matt had run the past few years.

The month of July was spent way up North at the small camp ministering to many Cree children and their families.  It was wonderful!  I can remember feeling like I was in a dream.  I was married to a wonderful man, and now we were serving the Lord together.  Exactly what I had been praying for all those years!  I loved watching my husband teach with such passion, just as he continues to teaches with today.  Each day I fell more in love with him.  We had some special times up there.  I especially remember the final night we were there.  The kids were all tucked away in their cabins, and we were getting ready to head to our place for the night. We stopped outside before getting into the car and just stood there, starting up at the magnificent sky.  The camp had no electricity or running water.  It was rustic.  But because of that, the night sky was so clear.  And were were far enough north that we were able to clearly see the Northern Lights.  I had never seen them before and let me tell you - they left me breathles.  Absolutely incredible!  Just another reminder of what an awesome  God we serve - who created such beauty!

Once the four weeks of camp were over, we had to pack up, head back to New Brunswick where we packed up all our belongings there and headed out on the road again.  We had only a few short weeks before we needed to be back in Florida for Matt to start grad school and I was to start working on staff at the Bible college.  But, on our "way" (and by that I mean not on the way at all) we went to Ohio to help my brother and his wife move into their home.  They were beginning a job at a Christian school.  Then we drove down to Oklahoma to visit my parents and pick up the rest of our stuff.  After that, we finally arrived at our final destination, Pensacola, Florida.  To say we put a lot of miles on the first three months of our marriage is an understatement.

But it was great.  It gave us lots of time to just talk and enjoy each other.  But, "real" life had to start sometime so we got to Florida, got settled in and started our life as a newly married couple.  Matt was in grad school as well as working for the school to pay for his schooling.  I was staff and worked in the Dean's office at the college.  I have always loved secretarial type work, which is what I was doing.  There were times when I wasn't so fond of my job, but overall, it was great.  I would work, 8 to 5, then come home to our small apartment and cook, clean, and enjoy my hubby.  I have to admit, at first it seemed a bit surreal and I often felt like I was just a little girl playing "house."  But no, it was real, I was "all grown up" and we were so happy!

When we weren't working we were hanging out with friends and just enjoying life.  Matt worked on Tuesday nights, so my sister and my friend, Jana, would almost always come over to keep me company.  We would play games or go into town.  Or Matt and I would hang out our friends, Brad and Miranda, or Matt and Sheila.  When it was the end of the month and money was tight, Brad, Mirand, and Matt and I would pool our resources and come up with meals so we could all eat!  Great memories.  It was some good times.  Everything was going the way I "planned" it.  I had always wanted to get married, be just us two for two years, then we would start a family.  And then every two years we would add to the family until we had 5 or 6 kids.

Well, as you know "things" don't always go as you plan.  We had been married for not quite 6 months when I had a "feeling" that I was pregnant.  I told Matt, we went to get a test (at about midnight, mind you.  There were so many people we might see since the college had over 4,000 students and lots of staff and faculty that I wanted to keep it a secret in case I was wrong! Ha!)  I couldn't wait until morning like you are "supposed" to do.  Took the test, it was positive.  We were shocked and ecstatic at the same time!  We called our parents and everyone joined in on our joy.

It is kinda interesting to note that while I was pregnant, so were my three sis-in-laws!  It also happened that we were all pregnant at the same time again the next time around, too!  Ah.... families! :-)

The pregnancy went well, and I gave birth on my exact due date and we welcomed sweet Liam into our family.  I took three months maternity leave - the most I could.  In the states, you do not get paid mat leave and it is not for a year like here in Canada!  Those three months with just Matt working on a  small income were tough.  Actually, I look back and still have no idea how we survived on just over $500 a month.  Except that God provided.  Always does.  Always will.

Once I had to start back to work Liam went to daycare.  But, it was the daycare associated with the college and I knew a lot of the workers. I could see the building from my office window and could go over during the day to nurse him and eat my lunch there - which I did most every day.  So it was pretty ideal since I had to work. (Most all Matt's paycheck went to pay off his schooling, so we had no choice but for me to work.)  It wasn't my favorite thing, but again, we made it through!

We now were not only adjusting to married life, but we were also adjusting to being parents!  No, it wasn't how I had planned it, but I wouldn't go back and change any of it for anything!  Those times really set the stage for our life together and taught us many things about who God is.

It was now the beginning of 2007.  We had been married for a year and a half, Matt was almost done with grad school, and the future lay before us.  What were we going to do?  Where were we going to go?  We had our plans.  Grand and glorious plans.  But we would soon find that God had a different plan for us.

Until next time....

No comments: