Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Better Night

Well, I am happy to report that last night was uneventful. Whew! I went to bed last night so on edge, waiting for Liam to start screaming or something. It kept me up for quite a while. But, he slept all night, no problems. I guess some kids can have night terrors over and over, while others have it only one time. I pray that Liam is in the later group. We shall see.
Today was another "regular" day, but a good one. I just stayed at home cleaning and playing with Liam. It is fun to see all the new stuff he is picking up on. Today, he had several new discoveries. The first began bright and early this morning. We were all still in bed, when all of a sudden I hear little feet walking into our bedroom. Liam has been able to open some of the doors in our house for a while now, but, for some reason he was not able to get his door open. Until this morning. I guess he figured it out cuz those little feet were his. He woke up, got out of bed, and came to get us. I opened my eyes and saw his cute face staring at me. It was cute. So, now I guess we enter the phase of life where he will come wake us up like most kids eventually do sometime in their life.
The second thing he figured out was how to get on our bed without any help from us. Our bed sits up higher than a normal bed, and he loves to play on it. I have several decorative pillows on our bed (a proper bed just isn't made without them!), and he loves to bury himself under them. Anyways, I was busy with Leila his afternoon, and did not know exactly what he was doing. So I went to go find him, and finally found him on our bed. So, how did he get up there you may ask? Well, he took his little step stool that I have for him to use in the bathroom (so he can reach the sink to wash his hands and brush his teeth) to our room. I laughed when I saw it right next to the bed. I thought it was very logical thinking on his part! I tell you, he's getting smarter and smarter! Sometimes I think I don't give him enough credit for what he can understand and retain.
Take, for instance, what happened on Sunday. As I told you before, we started up Sunday school about 4 weeks ago. I teach the 2-4 year olds. My class consists of Liam and a 3 year old boy named Carson. We are using the Joyful Life curriculum from A Beka (GREAT stuff by the way!). Well, we have been going over our memory verse that says, "Even the winds and the sea obey him." Well, I have yet to have either of them repeat it back to me. I had assumed that Carson was just too shy to tell me. I know he knows it because his mom goes over it with him at home. But I honestly have thought that Liam is "just too young" right now. I was wrong. This Sunday he was just playing by himself, and all of a sudden I hear him say, "Even the wind and sea obey." So, it is not completely word perfect, but so close! I turned to him and said, "What did you say?" He smiled and then I told him, "Good boy!" I was so excited! I mean, I know kids pick up on a lot, I just guess I just didn't think about it too deeply.
So that was a great reminder to me. Kids are never too young to start teaching them the Bible. Liam even knows the verse, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." The reason he can say this one is because we have a plaque of it hanging on our living room wall, and for over a year now, Matt has taken Liam to it and read that verse to him almost every morning. And now he does it with Leila! So, for you parents out there, don't think like I did that your little babies or toddlers are too young to learn God's Word! What a great thing to start so young hiding God's Word in their hearts, so they will have it with them the rest of their lives!
As for Leila, she is doing great. She is getting really big, and is really trying to roll over. I keep finding her on her side. She just needs that last little push and she is on her belly. I am feeding her cereal now, although she still doesn't quite have the whole eating from a spoon thing down pat just yet. It is funny, cuz I don't remember Liam taking this long to learn, and Matt reminded me it is because Liam got it after the first time! I guess Leila will be a little longer in learning though!
She turns 4 months on Sunday. Wow! 4 months already. Time seems to be going by even faster now! She also is starting to show all the signs of teething. She chews on EVERYTHING, including the shoulder of whomever is holding her. If you hold her for any amount of time, and put her up to look over your shoulder, you will then have a nice wet spot there from her chewing and licking!
We had just a couple snow flurries yesterday, but nothing to get too excited about. It is really cold though. Liam and I went on a short walk today and the wind was so cold - our faces where nearly frozen! I am thankful for our flannel sheets that I pulled out and put on the bed the other day!
I think that "is all I know from here!" (hehe - that's for you, mom - love ya!) I am now gonna go get a snack and read. I am reading a really good book by Lynn Austin called Candle in the Darkness. It is a fiction book set in the time of the Civil War. I would recommend her as an author. I really enjoy what books of hers that I have read so far!
I hope all reading this have a great day/night! Peace out!
Holding her own bottle for first time.
I don't know what they are looking at, but I thought it was a cute pic.

Liam loves his sister.
Big smiles at mommy.
She is just too cute...

No comments: