Monday, October 27, 2008

Good(?) Morning

So, I usually only have time to post things at night when the kids are in bed, but this Monday morning I had a few extra minutes, so I thought I would jot something down. Our weekend was pretty good - busy as usual.

Friday, Matt and I dropped the kids off at Matt's parents' house while we went to do a visit to a lady named Clarice who is in the hospital. Ya know, when you do those kind of visits, you go expecting to be the encourager and hope to lift the sick person's spirits. But Clarice is the one who lifted our spirits. Let me tell you a little about these sweet lady...

Clarice is originally from England. She came over to Canada years ago, and is what we call a "war bride." She and her husband, Israel, had a couple children. She is a sweet lady who loves the Lord. Quite a few years ago (almost 20 I believe), he husband passed away. In his will, he left all his possessions and such to her, his wife (naturally!). Well, I am sad to say that at that time, after the funeral, her children went through the house to find the will. When they heard that nothing was left to them, they got very upset, and really have not talked to her since! She has grand kids that she never sees. Her children only live about 20 mins from her too! It is so sad. I just absolutely cannot understand that.

Well, about 10 years ago, my mother-in-law came into the picture and began taking care of Clarice. By that time, she was about 80 years old, and needed help with cleaning, groceries, etc. So, for 10 years my mom-in-law has been her "companion" you might say. They are such good friends, it is almost like a mother/daughter relationship, since my Matt's grandmother has passed away, and Clarice's daughters do not speak to her.

Clarice is such a sweet woman who is ALWAYS smiling. She is so giving to others as well. She has been very good to Matt and I, and given to us even though she does not have much herself. We have grown to really love her. She loves our children as well. My mom had the privilege of meeting her when she was here this summer.

Anyways, for the past couple of months, she has slowly begun to go downhill health-wise. It had gotten so bad that my mom-in-law had to take her to the hospital over a week ago, and she is still there. We found out that she has breast cancer, that they think has spread all throughout her body. The dr. told Matt's mom that it is only a matter of time. Clarice will not be going back home again.

While we went to the hospital, she was just as happy as can be. You ask her how she is feeling and she will tell you, "Not very good at all." But yet, she is smiling, telling us how thankful she is for the hospital and doctors and nurses. She has told them that she does not want surgery or anything because she is a 91 year old woman who is ready to go Home. Matt and I left feeling so uplifted. When we told her that we were so glad to see her smiling and in such good spirits, she just said, "It is the peace that passeth all understanding." Which is so true. Those who do not have the Lord in their life cannot understand that perfect peace the Lord gives you. I can understand because many "scary" times in my life, the Lord has given me that peace that you cannot explain. What a blessing Clarice is. We do not know how much longer she has. But we do know that soon, she will meet her maker and see her husband again!

So, on to Saturday. That is just a busy day getting ready for church. Matt studies, I am getting things all ready, like planning our Sunday meal, getting ready for Sunday school. We do the bulletin, as well. To make things smoother on Sunday morning, I get all our clothes out and ready to go Saturday night.

Sundays are so busy and tiring but good. We had a good day yesterday. I not only taught Sunday School. but did junior church which is always fun. But, by last night, Matt and I were both so tired and I my back/neck were hurting a bit more than usual. I went to bed as soon as the kids were in bed. We both wanted a good, long nights sleep.

BUT, that did not happen. Liam had another small night terror, but it was not as bad as the first. But, he had trouble sleeping the rest of the night and Leila woke several times, too. So much for a good nights sleep! Oh well. Who really needs sleep, anyways!? (Uh - ME!!!!) :-)

Well, I gotta go feed Leila. Please pray for Clarice if you think of it - She is in a lot of pain. I trust that everyone has a great day. Who knows what today will bring! (I have a feeling that we are going to get a million dollars in the mail today - I just know it! :-) )

Daddy and his girl.
Peek-a-boo!

Our Pretty Sweet Pea

I think I told you about Liam getting up on our bed with his stool. He did it again Saturday. He just loves al the pillows!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sounds like you all know a very sweet old lady. I'll be praying for her! I love the picture of little Liam's head peeking out on that big bed full of pillows. Too cute!