Saturday, July 18, 2009

What a Week!!!!

You know the saying, "when it rains, it pours"? Well, this week was a torrential downpour for us! Hmm... let's just start at the beginning....
Last Sunday, we headed off in the afternoon to Sandy Cove Bible Camp. It is a camp that is only about 40 mins from here. It has been around for many years. Matt was the speaker this week, and we were so excited for a week at camp. Both Matt and I LOVE the camp ministry, so this was "gonna be a fun week." I knew that it would be tiring and that the kids would have a little harder time since they would be all out of sync and out of their comfort zone, but knew they would have fun with all the kids and getting to see new stuff.
Anyway, so we got to camp a little before supper and got settled into our cabin. Now, for those of you picturing the Wilds, stop it. It is not really anything like that. As I said before, the camp has been around for many years, I think maybe even 60 years, and pretty much all the cabins are at least half that old! It wasn't like we were in a tent on the floor, but definitely a little more rustic than normal. If you know me, you know I HATE spiders, and I saw so many webs all around, I was a little worried about that. But, I knew I had to toughen up and get over it.
So, we got into the schedule of camp and things were going well.
Most of the camps here in Canada run a little differently than any I have been to. They have theme weeks, such as horseback riding, paintball, etc. A lot of the games and free time activities that week then revolve around the theme. This week was water ski camp, so the campers spent lots of time in the lake. The age group was middle school. They sure were an energetic bunch!
Matt preached the whole week on being a disciple of Christ, covering what that means, salvation, and how to actually be one. It really seemed to make an impact on the kids, and there were even 6 souls saved! Praise the Lord!
Well, Tuesday night, our outlook on the week completely changed. It was about 5 mins before chapel was to start when Matt's cell phone rang. It was a lady who comes off and on to our church. She has an 18 year old daughter who lives with her, as well as her daughter's boyfriend (who is in his 30's!). Anyways, the daughter just had her second baby 7 weeks ago. She also has an 18 month old son. Well, the lady informed us of the tragic news that the little 7 week old passed away during the night. The cause is attributed to SIDS or crib death. The family wanted Matt to do the funeral.
We were so sad to hear this news, but also immediately began to pray. The lady has made a profession of faith, but no one else in the family had. These people has just lost this precious baby, and had no hope, no one to turn to for hope and comfort. The next morning, after morning chapel, we headed back to our home so Matt could help them plan the funeral. It was very hard for Matt, but he was able to share the Word with them and give them some comfort as to where their baby is today.
So, after Matt spent several hours with them, we headed back to camp so he could preach in the evening chapel. And that is how our days went for the rest of the week. We got up, ate breakfast, had chapel, then we headed back home. On Thursday we went back so Matt could be at the viewings. I went back so the kids could nap in their own beds. I did not go to the viewings. Mainly because I did not have a babysitter, but also because I don't think I could have handled it well and have been much of a comfort at that time.
Then, Friday was the last day of camp with just a morning chapel. We packed everything up and rushed home to get ready for the funeral. Now, I also need to remind you that we have our house for sale, and had told the realtor that we would not be home this week. Well, she had some showings planned on Wednesday, and I ended up being here when the people came to look at it. Talk about awkward! I tried to just mind my own business while they walked around commenting on my house! That was a little strange!
Then, just as we walked in the door on Friday, we had just over 2 hours to get all ready for the funeral. We checked our voicemail, only to find that the realtor was on her way to show the house again and would be there in five minutes!!!! We quickly grabbed the kids and were getting all ready to leave again when they showed up. We went out to church to get the programs printed off for the funeral, then came home and Matt and I had 1 hour to shower, iron clothes, feed the kids, then get to the funeral home. We were just about to leave when the phone rang and the realtor told us we had an offer on the house! We made plans to meet at supper time then went to the funeral.
I won't go into too many details as it is still pretty upsetting, but that funeral was the hardest thing Matt or I have ever been through. It was his first full funeral to be in charge of and it was even harder since it was for a baby. And with the family not being saved, he really wanted to get the gospel out. It was hard to see that tiny casket. It was hard not to have Matt beside me to hold my hand. And I just sat there and cried, as I felt the immense loss for this girl as she sobbed and cried. She is young, and living in sin, but she is still a mother, who loved her daughter. I pray that I never have to go to one like that again. But I am able to take comfort in the fact that she is with Jesus. I now just pray that her father and mother receive Him so they can see their daughter again someday.
Well, I came home to relieve the babysitter and Matt went on to the graveside service. And then it hit me how tired I was. I felt like we had been running around all week - and basically, we had! Matt said the graveside went pretty well. He had to stay extra after everyone left and helped the funeral directors and cemetery people with some tings regarding the burial. Then he came home - completely exhausted physically, spiritually, and emotionally. A death like this really hits close to home, with us having two small children and another one on the way. Our emotions were completely spent.
The babysitter was so sweet in making us supper, so I didn't have to worry about that. Then, the realtor came over to discuss the offer. It was a good offer, almost to our asking price. We counter offered a little higher, and then just tried to relax.
We woke up this morning and heard from the realtor that the lady with the offer wanted to bring her sons to see the house before she gave us her answer to our counter offer, so we headed off again and had lunch in town. We got home, called the realtor, and she came back and the lady upped her offer to what we said! So, in short, our house is sold for a little higher than our original asking price! Unless something falls through, it will be official on Wednesday! Praise the Lord! It was only on the market for a week and a half!
I think I told you that we had our eye on another house, so we went ahead and made an offer on that house. We should know by tomorrow night where that stands. We are just praying for God's will in all this.
Whew! As I said, in really poured this week. We are so tired. But we have been reminded of God's strength and love this week, and how very, very good He is. Now, we just have the busyness of packing and such, all mixed in with VBS and another week at another camp! Wow. We are really gonna need a vacation after it is all done!
That's all for now, folks!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, that was quite a week! Praying you all can recover from that one quickly! I was choking back tears while reading about the little girl. Oh! What a hard thing to deal with. Hopefully the family will come to Christ through this though. I'll be praying for them, and for you guys too!