Saturday, February 13, 2010

Life's Simple Pleasures

I, as many bloggers do, enjoy surfing other blogs and reading them - of people I do and don't know. I have come across some great ones - many of which are written by moms just like me, who stay at home with their kids and have many of the same struggles that I do. It is encouraging to hear that you are not the only one whose toddler all of a sudden will not eat potatoes - which they used to love to eat. It is encouraging to hear that you are not the only one whose child throws a fit at bed time or at supper time. It is encouraging to know that you aren't the only one who gets behind on laundry and dishes, etc. So that is why I "blog surf." It is interesting, encouraging and sometimes challenging for me to improve in certain areas of my life. I have even gotten recipie ideas from some of them!

So, anyways, I was reading a blog the other day that I frequently visit, and her post was, I thought really creative. So I am borrowing her idea and a similar post on my blog. Her post was all about the small things in life that sometimes go unnoticed, but that we love and enjoy - sometimes every day. I made a small list of these "simple pleasures" that I enjoy. Not only was it fun to think of the list, but it also made me stop and thank the Lord for the things He does for me, and the things He gives me. There is no real order to the list, just wrote them down as I thought of them. So without further ado.... my list:

Emily's Simple Pleasures

- The smell of the air just after it has rained.
- Waking up in the morning to the first snowfall of the year.
- Drinking a big, ice-cold glass of milk.
- Getting in bed with freshly washed sheets right after you have just taken a shower.
- Opening the door in the morning to see your smiling child eagerly awaiting you to come get them.
- Finding money in your coat pocket that you forgot you had.
- Waking up an hour before your alarm goes off and realizing you still have an hour to sleep.
- Sitting by a cozy fire drinking hot chocolate.
- Getting your hair cut.
- Getting a good long back massage.
- Getting to the check-out counter and finding your items are even more on sale than you thought.
- Sitting in a room with all the lights out except a few white Christmas lights while listening to Christmas music.
- Laughing so hard you cry.
- Fulfilling a craving that you have had for some time (especially when you are pregnant!).
- Hearing your children say, "I love you."
- Listening to your child singing to himself in the next room - songs like "Jesus Loves Me" and "I Love You, Lord."
- Waking up each morning next to the love of your life.
- Having a testimony time with other believers about how good God is.
- Singing hymns and worship songs late at night around a campfire in the mountains.
- Waking up to a clean house.
- The first time you lay eyes on your precious children.

There are many more I could write down, the I will stop with that for now. So now I ask you. What are some of your simple pleasures in life? Have you thanked the Lord for them recently?

No comments: