I don't think I have mentioned before that lately, we have been having a hard time with Leila going in the nursery and Sunday school at church. If it was anyone beside myself, my mother-in-law, or a lady named Judy, Leila would scream, cry, and throw a fit. This has been going on for some time, and I have been getting very frustrated. Between her doing this, and Libby's eating schedule, I have only sat through an entire church service about 4 times since Libby was born. We have many ladies in the church who are wanting to work in the nursery and help out, but Leila will have nothing of it. There is one other boy her age that is in the toddler nursery as well, and he is fine with whoever. We have tried many times to have me sneak out while the worker is distracting Leila, but it takes her all of 4 seconds to see what we are doing and then the crying starts.
Now, I know what you are thinking - just let her cry it out and after a few minutes, she will know that you are not coming and she will get over it and start playing. Well, thank you! I would do that except for one reason - and that is how our church is set up. Our church is one big rectangle building with and upstairs and a basement. The basement contains several classrooms, storage rooms, the "gym" (which is really just a big open room with cement floor) and the kitchen. Upstairs is the auditorium, two bathrooms, and both the baby and toddler nurseries. When you first come in the door to the church, you are on a landing and have to go either up or down (we are not handicapped accessible which is a problem). As soon as you enter the top of the steps, you are in the auditorium. We do not have a formal foyer. And, the nurseries are both right off the auditorium. I guess when they built the church, they didn't think too detailed on the negatives of having it set up that way.
Anyways, all that is to say that when a child is crying in the nursery, everyone can hear it in the main service and it is quite the distraction - especially our sweet little Leila who has a very big voice. So, I have let her cry a little bit, but, then I notice that people are getting distracted and not paying attention to the message or whatever is going on, so I quickly go in to get her quiet. The last thing I want is the devil to use something as simple as that to distract a person from hearing the message and getting saved or getting right with the Lord.
So, it has been hard, and we have been working with her, and I have been noticing that it is getting a little better, but I have not been holding my breath. Thankfully, most everyone understands how kids can be and no one has really complained. But still, I have been praying that the Lord would help her to be comfortable going with the workers and letting me sit in the service.
This actually has not been a problem just at church, but at home as well. Whenever someone would come over to our house, whether they were there to babysit or just visit, she would immediately start to cry and want me to hold her. I gotta admit, it is sorta nice that your child wants you all the time, but at the same time, I need to get away sometimes too! As a side note, I should mention that we did go through something somewhat like this with Liam, but not nearly as long or as bad. And he went through it at an earlier age. But we did make it through with him.
Well, I think we may have seen a breakthrough, or at least some progress. Yesterday morning, Matt had several visits to make, and I had to run an errand. So, a lady from our church and her daughter (who jut graduated from PCC) came over. The daughter was going to stay home with the kids while I went out with her mom and Matt went on to his visits. Well, Rachel started to lay with the kids, so I sneaked out and we left. We were gone for about an hour, and when we returned, the kids were just playing as happy as can be. I asked Rachel, "So, how much did she cry when she realized we were gone?" to which Rachel replied, "Not at all!" I guess Leila did ask for me and say she wanted to go see me, but other than that, she was completely fine.
Then, when we came home, Leila actually went up to Rachel's mom and let her pick her up and hold her! Leila has never let Chery hold her before - she would start crying even if Chery would look at her! Haha! Chery gave me this "wow" look and she continued to hold Leila for quite a few minutes. I was so excited! So maybe, just maybe, we are having a breakthrough! Or it might just be a fluke. Only time will tell. We will try it on Sunday and see how it goes!
Well, I need to go make a chocolate pie now. We are having our 2nd Annual Pie Fellowship tonight at church. We have a contest with three categories: best tasting, best looking, and most unique. Last year we had 38 pies entered! We had everything from fiddle head pies to apple and mixed berry - and everything in between! I am excited to see what shows up tonight!
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment