Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Our Story - Part 6

(To catch up, click here )

The next day was a very busy day for us RAs.  After morning chapel and dismissal (which Matt and I sat together at, by the way), we both had to head back to our dorms where we were busy for pretty much the rest of the day until around 5 p.m.  We were helping with checking the floorleaders out for the semester by going around their floors, making sure all was clean. About 2 or three in the afternoon, I took a short break from doing this to go to my room to get a drink.  I had been thinking about Matt and our conversation all day long, and was dying to talk to him.  I kept hoping he would get in touch with me, but we were both so busy, we really didn't have much time for such things.  But, as I was on my break, I impulsively and on the spur of the moment picked up my phone and called the desk where I knew Matt would be. 

"Ballard Desk, this is Matt."  he answered.  My mind then started racing as I tried to think of something to say.  You see, I was breaking one of my "rules" by calling him.  I couldn't think very straight, so I tried to disguise my voice and pretend I was a student who needed help. :-)  I didn't do a very good job and he knew right away who I was.  "I thought you didn't call boys (more on this in a minute)?"  He said.  "Well, I don't.  I just..."  I was at a loss for words.  I was embarrassed. What was I doing?  What in the world possessed me to call him?  I immediately got embarrassed and started rambling about how I was just "seeing how it was going" for him. Dumb, Emily! You sound like an idiot!

He didn't seem too bothered by my calling him, but rather, a little pleased that I did.  We talked for a couple minutes, and then were getting ready to hang up when he asked, "Hey, do you think maybe we could hang out a little later?"  "Sure!" I said, then hung up the phone and went back to work, definitely smiling even bigger than before.

Now, as a side not, I want to explain my "rules" that I had set for myself way back when I was a teenager.  I set these rules, thinking it would keep me in check.  No one told me to make these rules.  I just did it on my own.  They were simple, really - Don't ask boys out and don't call boys unless you are returning their call.  I had told Matt about my rules the night before, so it made me look even more like an idiot (or desperate) when I called him.  Let me tell you, I was kicking myself for that for the next 2 months.  The last thing I wanted was for Matt to think I was being too forward.  I am a firm believer in the man being the leader in the relationship, even in little things in the beginning like that.  I was so mad at myself.

Well, we didn't end up doing anything together later on.  I ended up going off campus with my friends, Amber, Kayla, and Wendy and just relaxing with them.  I believe it was at this time that I told them about my "crush" for Matt that had kinda been going on all semester (although Wendy already knew).  They were excited and we dissected my conversation with Matt, trying to figure it all out.  :-)  Later on that night, we had to go to a meeting with all the students that were still on campus.  My friends and I walked into the Field House getting ready when I saw him.  We made eye contact ("across the crowded room".... hehe) and I smiled at him.  We sat through the meeting, with me catching glimpses of Matt with every chance I could get!

After the meeting and we were all dismissed, we got up and were ready to walk out when I noticed Matt hanging around the door, as if he were waiting for someone.  When we approached, he looked at me and said "Hi."  It was then that I realized he was waiting for me!  We didn't have much time, but we chatted for a few minutes, then were being shooed out the door by the staff.  I looked at him, and said, "Have a good Christmas."  "You too!" he replied.  And that was it. I didn't see him again for 5 weeks.  The longest 5 weeks of my life!

When we got back to our room, I remember Kayla saying, "He was looking at you the whole time, Emily!"  I think I probably was blushing about that and we chatted and giggled the rest of the night.  The next day I flew home to Colorado to enjoy my Christmas break.

And it was the longest 5 weeks I have ever had.  I spent the whole time wondering what he was doing, if he was thinking about me, etc.  I had been home about a week when my parents and I went to visit my brother, Kip, and his wife in Missouri for a few days.  My mom and I were in one car, while my dad was in another car and we were driving to their house.  It was late at night and I was just talking with my mom about stuff.  I really wanted to tell my mom about Matt, but I was nervous for some reason.  I think it was because I had never really come home talking about a boy before.  And I didn't really have that much to tell.  Its not like we had left with any type of understanding or anything.  But still, I wanted to tell my mom.

I remember it so clearly.  We were at a red stop light, when I randomly said, "So mom, there's this boy at school that I sorta like...."  I still can see my mom's face.  It lit up like a Christmas tree, she looked over at me and said, "We are gonna have to get you a new dress (referring to a new formal dress.  I hadn't had a new one since I left for college 3 1/2 years earlier.)"  I still laugh about that.  But that was her reaction, and so we spent the next little while talking about him.

Over the next weeks, my mom told different people about how I liked a boy at school, etc. (My family was so excited because this was all new - I had never come home talking about a boy before!)  I did my own share of telling.  My poor sister probably got tired of me talking about Matt.  But I couldn't help it.  That's all I wanted to talk about.  Meanwhile, unknown to me at the time, Matt was home in Canada, telling his mom about a girl named Emily!

Well, FINALLY the 5 weeks were up and I was headed back to school.  I couldn't wait to get there!  I wanted to see him so badly, to see how he acted around me and if all that happened at the end of last  semester was still real and I hadn't made it all up.  So, my plane landed, my brother picked me up from the airport and took me back to school.  I dumped all my stuff off in my room and headed to the Commons.  I didn't want to be cooped up in my room if he was back.  I wanted to see him!

I walked into the Commons, checked my mail, and was casually scanning the room to see if he was in there.  And he was.  He was over on the other side of the room, sitting in a chair talking with Josh.  So, as any girl would do, I casually made my way over to say "hey" and see how they were doing.  At first Matt didn't really look at me or say much, so I was starting to get a little disappointed.  Maybe I had made it all up!  But soon after that, when I was headed back to my room, Matt walked a little ways with me, then said, "Do you want to go to supper later?"  "Sure." I said, quite pleased.

I rushed back to my room and was going to wait there until it was time to meet him for supper.  One of my roommates was was back, so I finally told her all about Matt and all that had gone on.  She was really excited for me.  But I made her promise not to tell anyone, especially our roomie, Jenn. Jenn would be so excited, and I didn't want everyone getting all excited over nothing.  As supper time approached, I got more and more excited, and more and more nervous!   So, as any good girl would, I called all my friends that were back on campus and took them all with me.  Haha.  Matt still teases me about it.  Just what he was thinking when he asked me to supper - just him, me, and 5 of my friends!

We had a fun time, even though I think he was a little disappointed it wasn't just us two.  But hey, I was nervous. I was out of my realm.  I had never been in a situation like this before.

I was on uncharted territory...

(I didn't realize this was going to be so many posts, but I am trying to wrap it up - only 1 more day until our anniversary where I will hopefully finish it up!  Stay tuned!)

Until next time...

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Ha ha!! Your story is WAY longer than ours, I think! But I am enjoying reading it even if I already know the ending!! :-)

Matt and Emily Sealy said...

Haha. I guess I don't have to say all the details, but I wanted to have it written down somewhere, so why not here! But, when I started I certainly didn't think it would be this long! :-)

Wendy said...

:) That last part reminded me of when Chad had asked me out and I brought the entire gang as well :)

Danielle said...

Let's go girl I know you have nothing else keeping you busy...finish this story already! hehehehe. Fun to hear! I was a little preoccupied during this time so missed some of these details!:)

Unknown said...

Emily!!! I am just LOVING these posts! Brings back so many memories!!