Friday, July 9, 2010

Today

I haven't blogged just about my plain old day in a while, so I thought I would today.  Today was a ho-hum sort of day.  Actually, it was a very HOT day - but I know we are not the only ones experiencing very hot temps, so I won't complain about it to you.  Let me just say I have so wished that we had a swimming pool lately.  We are thinking about looking at one of those above ground pools at the end of the season.  Maybe we can get a good deal on one for next year.  In all seriousness, swimming is about the only exercise that I am able to do, and is really good for my back.  So it is a health issue, really! ;-)  Wonder if health insurance would go for that excuse.  Hmmm....

Since it has been extremely hot, we have not been going anywhere (well, the kids and I haven't).  I have been trying to make sure the kids get plenty of fluids.  But the heat seems to be affecting them some.  That coupled with us still recovering from vacation has given us 3 (yes, even Libby) cranky and whiny kids.  Liam and Leila have suddenly forgotten how to obey, and Libby seems to think that she needs to be held 24/7.  Oh, I love to hold my baby girl, but in all honesty, we both start sweating even more when we are "snuggling" so it makes us both uncomfortable.  Plus, I do have to get SOME things done around here!

So, today I was busy correcting bad and disobedient attitudes.  I decided that the kids needed something different to keep them occupied, so we went and got them some play dough (I was going to make it, but Matt just decided to buy them some - it really isn't that expensive!).  That occupied them while I was getting ready for supper.  Then after supper we went out and they played in the kiddy pool for a little while.  Then it was baths and bed time!  Somewhere in between all that we talked with my mom on Skype, and I made a chocolate marble pound cake (which was dumb cuz I had to turn on the oven, which heated up the kitchen!  But it was good!).

Right before Liam got in bed, we were cleaning up his room when I noticed a new decoration on the front of his dresser.  On two of the drawers was a lot of scribbling and drawing in nice (non-washable, I might add) black marker.  At first I was a little upset.  I said, "Who did that?"  Liam smiled and said, "Liam did." (my kids tend to talk in 3rd person).  "Why did you do that?"  Matt heard this, and came to see what was going on.  He started laughing and said, "Look.  He wrote his name."  That's when I realized that it was not just scribbles, but he had written his name and the letters "A" and "B."  These are the only letters he can clearly write.  So I looked at Liam and asked him why he did that.  He then came over and pointed to the scribbling and explained to me how he had written his name, the letters "A" and "B."  Then he pointed to the other scribbles and said they were train tracks.

In all honesty, it was my fault for leaving the marker in there.  Plus, that dresser is an old one that we bought in a yard sale and painted, and it is falling apart so we are looking for a new one.  So, I couldn't really be mad.  I just reminded him that we ONLY draw on paper.  But, I guess I am going to be trying out that new Magic Eraser sample I got free in the mail the other day.  Never used on before, so it might be exciting!

So that was the excitement of the day!  I hope yours was just as exciting!  It is getting late, so I am going to head to bed.  Tomorrow is a day of laundry and packing again for our week at camp.  We will be leaving Sunday afternoon.  I am going to try to go with all three of the kids.  But we are still out of whack from vacation, and with the sleeping arrangements in our cabin, I am just not sure how well it will go.  Fortunately, we are only about 40 mins. from home, so if need be, we can come home halfway through the week.  But, for that reason, I may be "missing" again next week.  But check back just in case I come home.  I will probably blog a lot since Matt will not be home!  And check back tomorrow for my Scenic Saturday!  I should have a lot of pictures from our trip and such!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It is sometimes hard to be upset with them and correct when they are so proud of what they've done. :) The magic eraser worked for me when Qade drew with a sharpie all over! They're great!! Hope you get a chance to cool off. If not a pool, sprinklers work wonders too!