Friday, August 6, 2010

Conversations with my son...

Liam is quite the conversationalist these days.  It is so fun to carry on an actual conversation with him!  It is neat to see his mind developing and seeing him start to think logically and such.  I think everyday he says something that really makes me laugh, and today was no exception.  For "posterity's" sake (or rather, for me to forever remember some of the cute things he says) I thought I would blog a few of our conversations today.

Liam was having his quiet time, when he got up to go to the restroom.  I went to check on him, and when he was done, he asked if he could get up.  "Not until your clock says 3-4-5 (3:45 - but he doesn't exactly understand that yet - so we say it in numbers.  Does that make sense?)."  "What does my clock say now?"  "Well, go see." I told him.  He went into his room, and I heard him talking to himself, saying, "3-3-5."  Then he came running back to me and said, "It says two 3's and one 5, Mommy."  I started laughing- what a cute way to say it!  "Well, then go back in bed.  When your clock says 3-4-5, then you can get up."  He looked around, then pointed to the clock on the microwave (which was too far away for him to read) and he asked "What does that say?"  "It says the same thing as your clock.  Go back to bed."  He got a disappointed look on his face, then said, "Oh, okay."  Ha!  I guess he was hoping the microwave clock would say 3:45!

I was working on cleaning up the kitchen, and Liam was riding around the house on his "too small for him" tricycle (he doesn't know it, but he is getting a real bike for his b-day) when he stopped, looked at me and said, "Mommy, you are my mother."  I laughed.  "Yes, Liam.  I am your mother.  Do you know who your father is?"  "Yep.  It is my dad."  I laughed again.  The look on his face was so cute!  He seemed so proud of himself that he knew that!  "Who is Leila's father, Mommy?"  Again, I am laughing, and I said, "Leila has the same father as you!  Its Daddy!"  "Ya, Daddy is our father!."

A little while later, when I was getting ready to give them a bath, Liam asked me, "Mommy, does your back hurt?"  (He asks me this a couple times a week.  He knows that I my back hurts a lot, and he seems so concerned about it!  It really is so sweet of him.  Actually, I have him "in training" to massage my back!  His wife is sure gonna thank me one day - he is going to give the BEST back rubs! ;-)  )"I smiled and said, "Yes, Liam.  My back does hurt a little right now."  He furrowed his brow for a minute, then his face lightened up and he said, "Maybe you can go to sleep, and then it will feel all better!"  That really got me laughing because I tell him that when he complains at bedtime of something "hurting" - but is really just a stalling tactic.  What's funny about that is that is EXACTLY what my mom used to do to us kids, and we always teased her that going to bed was her answer for everything!  HA!  And now I am doing it!

Well, those are just a few of the many sweet conversations I have with my son.  I love it.  I am trying to cherish it.  These days pass all too quickly.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Conversations with kids surely are enlightening at times :)