Thursday, August 5, 2010

Our Story - Engagement Part 2

After I exited the elevator, I went to meet up with Matt and the others.  I noticed nothing that seemed fishy so I pushed what Miranda had said to me out of my mind and focused on what we had planned for the day.  After we were all gathered, we climbed in our cars and headed to my most favourite restaurant in the whole wide world - Chili's.  Matt was and still is so sweet that when he plans an "outing" for me, he does his best to take me to my favorite places.  I am so spoiled.  But anyway, back to the story.

We ate at Chili's and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal (I can't remember exactly what I ate.  But I know I had LOTS of the chips and salsa!).  We all enjoyed our time.  We laughed and talked and I didn't  think anything was up except that we were just having a fun family day away from campus.  I also did not happen to notice how Matt only ate about 1, maybe 1 1/2 bites of his meal.

After lunch, we headed to Bayview park where we planned to play some games like Phase 10 and Uno.  I remember as we pulled in we were commenting on how there was still so much damage and debris lying around from the hurricane.  We got out of the car and all sat down at a picnic table. I grabbed one of the games and was getting ready to start playing when Matt looked at me and said, "You wanna go for a walk?"  To be perfectly honest, I did not want to.  I think I told him that, too!  Well, he seemed pretty determined to go for a walk, and I was a bit determined to not go for one.  Finally, he just made the decision for me.  He looked at Deana, our chaperone, and said, "Do you mind if we take a walk?"  I distinctly remember her saying yes, all the while not looking at either of us, but looking down at the table instead.  Hmmm...  Oh well. 

Matt and I got up and started to "walk."  Now, I don't know about you, but when two people go on a walk together, they usually walk side by side.  Well, not this time.  To me, it seemed as if Matt was running.  And I was a few feet behind him saying, "Matt, where are you going?  Why aren't you walking with me?"  I guess he realized what he was doing and waited for me to catch up.  "Let's go over by that tree."  He said, pointing to a tree a ways ahead of us.  "Uh, okay.  Why are we gonna go to that tree?"  I think I was getting a little suspicious now, but still not catching on.  "Just come."  He said.  We were almost to the tree, and I was starting to think that Matt was acting very strangely all of a sudden.  "Matt what are going to go and do by the tree?"  I asked.  Haha.  I was so confused!

We finally reached the tree and were standing there, me looking at him when he said, "Emily. Look down."  It was then that I noticed.  At the base of the tree was a small blanket laid out.  And on that blanket was a very beautiful,  large single red rose and a wrapped package.  "What is all this?"  "Its for you."  "How did you get it here?"  "Just open the gift."

I reached down and picked up the gift.  Attached to it was a card.  I read the card.  It was a very sweet note.  Near the end, it said, "This is just a small gift to let you know that I will get you what you REALLY want as soon as I possibly can."  How sweet!  He was letting me know that we will get engaged as soon as he can afford a ring!  I smiled really big and opened the gift.  It was a Precious Moments figurine.  He knew that I collected them.  The figurine was a little girl and boy sitting on a couch.  The little boy was holding out a ring to the girl, and the little girl was crying.  It really is such a cute thing.  I smiled and thanked Matt for his sweet gift.

"I also wrote you a poem that I want to say to you."  And with that, he began to quote this poem that he had written.  It was so sweet, talking about how we met and dated and all that fun stuff.  As he was saying this, three things were going through my mind.  First of all, I thought it was so nice that he took the time to write me another poem.  I loved it that he did that.  Second, I was thinking that I was surprised that he had taken the time to actually memorize it!  Wow.  That was special.  And third, I was thinking, "You know, this is sort of what I picture an engagement being like."  But still, to be perfectly honest, I had no idea that was what was actually happening!

So, he was saying this poem and I was standing there thinking these things, when, all of a sudden, he reached in his pocket, pulled out a box, got down on one knee and finished the poem by saying, " I believe that it is God's will that we are together for life.  And that is why I ask you now, Emily Marie Doan, will you be my wife?"  He opened the box and there was the most beautiful, solitaire diamond ring.  It was exactly what I would have picked out myself.  I looked at the ring, looked at Matt, looked at the ring, looked at Matt, all the while saying, "Are you serious?  Are you serious?"  He was smiling saying, "Yes! Yes!"  Then, he finally said, "Emily?  What's your answer?"  "Oh!  YES!"  I said.  I was so shocked, I forgot to answer him!  He then put the ring on my finger. 

I would like to tell you now I jumped up and gave him a big 'ole hug or something, but I didn't.  To this day, he still reminds me that he didn't even get a handshake or anything!  Haha!  But, in my defense, I was so shocked, and I was also unsure of what was allowed since I was a PCC student.  I have since learned that Matt had permission for us to have "some physical contact" from the dean's office.  If I had it to go over again, I would have hugged him, and maybe even given him a little kiss! ;-)  But alas, I didn't and it is what it is. 

After the ring was placed on my finger, I asked him, "Does my dad know?  Does my mom know?  What about Andrew and Danielle and all them?"  Well, apparently everyone knew (even my roommates, who were back at school eagerly awaiting my to return so they could celebrate with me!).  I looked back to where everyone else was and they were all standing there, clapping and smiling!  Then Matt had me turn around, and pointed out our friend, Cory, who had been hiding behind us taking pictures the whole time!  By the way, he is the one who placed the blanket and flower and gift box on the ground by the tree.

I ran back to the others who were waiting, and did what most every newly engaged girl does - I stuck out my hand and showed off my ring!  My hand was shaking SO badly, too!  I just could not believe it had actually happened and that I had been surprised!  That was a big deal, you see because it is pretty hard to surprise me.  I always seem to figure things out.  Just ask my sis, Amanda, about my bridal shower and my "surprise" visit from my mom.  Or ask my friend, Wendy, about my "surprise" birthday party!  Haha!  I had always wanted my engagement to be a surprise, and he actually pulled it off!  He is getting really good at it, too.  Since then, he has surprised me quite a few times since.

It is a funny story, too, to hear Danielle and Amanda recount it from their perspective.  They were "playing" Uno, trying to be all casual in case I looked back at them.  But really, they were trying to watch us and were really excited it was hard for them to act natural.

So, there you have it.  October 30, 2004 when we were engaged.  And 7 1/2 months later, we were married.  In "preparation" for telling this story, I watched the video that my brother made that we showed at our wedding reception where we told the story of how we met, got engaged, and our plans/dreams for the future.  And I have to tell you, it made me laugh.  First of all how young we looked, even though it was only just over 5 years ago!  Also, how naive we seemed!  Ha!

Well, I hoped you enjoyed our story of engagement.  I sure enjoyed relieving it by telling it!

Until next time....

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, that is kinda hard on Matt that he didn't even get a handshake! Guess he should have waited till Christmas! ;-) Thanks for telling the story, it's very sweet. I'm going to try to post our engagement story video when I get to that point, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it. I love reading about how God brought people together. So fun!