Wednesday, September 8, 2010

And So It Began...

Liam doesn't realize this, but he has now begun the school phase of life that will last at least 18 years - probably more.  But at least he is still excited about it now!

Yesterday, our first day, was crazy but very good.  It is funny how I find myself reacting to new things we encounter in parenting.  When I was expecting Liam, of course I was nervous - having never had a baby before I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  And all you mothers out there know that being a mommy is absolutely NOTHING like babysitting!  So, when we come to a new phase in life - especially Liam's since he is our first and each new phase he comes to is not only new to him but new for us too - I find myself becoming a little unsure and sometimes anxious about the situation.

Take, for instance, eating solids.  I put that off with Liam for the longest time because I wasn't sure how it was going to go, and not sure how to do it exactly, and such.  And, of course, it all went fine.  And I was so glad once I started.  The same was with potty training.  I was really apprehensive about starting it, but once I did, it went so smoothly and all was right with the world (sort of!).

All this is to say that I was the same way with starting school.  A big part of me was so nervous, that I almost didn't start it yet.  I wanted to put it off for a while longer.  But, we went ahead and started - and he loves it!

We wake up in the morning, he eats breakfast and then gets dressed.  He then has his Bible time with Daddy, and "off" we go to school.  At first the whole video thing was a little confusing to him, especially when the teacher "talks" to "the boys and girls watching."  I explained to him that meant she was talking to him.  He got it much better today, and is getting involved and all.  He will stand when told, recite with the class, and laughs at the funny things they say and do.  He is so attentive to it all.  The only thing we really need to work on is him sitting properly in his seat.  I'm not going to be completely as strict as they are at the Academy with how he sits, but I do want him to try not to squirm too much and to not sit with his feet tucked under him, which he likes to do (just like his mommy!).

The videos are only a part of the day.  The rest I do, either reinforcing what was taught by "Mrs. Wasser" or me just introducing it myself.  I am adding a little of my own things to it, too.  I thought it was cute today - we had the video turned off and he was working on one of his coloring papers.  He was sitting there, neatly coloring in cirlces in the lines, when he nonchalantly asked me, "Mommy, are the other boys and girls coloring too?"  I laughed and told him, yes, I thought they were.  It is cute - he doesn't realize that this was recorded several years ago.

We do 3 of his subjects, then he gets recess where he goes and plays with Leila.  She actually sat in on some of it today, during the Phonics part, and she was even repeating after the teacher when Liam was saying, "I says i as in Indian.  I says i i i."  Hmmm... Maybe she will catch on and learn some this year too!

Recess yesterday actually ended up being several hours due to me having an eye appt.  I haven't had one in over 3 years, so it was time.  Most of you may not know this, but I have terrible vision, especially in my right eye due to an injury when I was young.  Anyways, I see the best when wearing contacts, but have been out of them for over a year now.  IN order to get new ones, I needed an updated prescription. So, while we were at it, I got new glasses as well since the eye place here does buy one get one free.  All I will tell you right now is that I am excited about my new glasses, as well as having second thoughts.  I went a little out of the norm for me, but Matt assures me they look good.  I will just tell you that my new glasses are the same but different.  New, but not really.  Get it?  Ha!  I should get them in a day or two, so I will reveal them in the near future.

Well, that's how our first two days of school went.  I will give updates throughout the year on how it is all going.  I am personally LOVING it.  I can't imagine sending my little boy off to school right now, so I am enjoying having him home with me, but still learning.  Below are a few pics we have taken yesterday and today.


The office before we fixed it up.  This was how it was when we moved here.














How it looks now(the white wall is where the mural was.)




My desk (and Matt's).  This was a great buy we got at a 2nd hand store for a really good deal.  The best part was it was still in the box, brand new!  Took Matt a long time (like over 2 hours) to put it together.  There were a million pieces (it seemed) and included a manual with 27 steps to put it together!  But I love it!

Liam's little corner.








First day of school!




Showing off his new pencil case.  He LOVES his pencils!




Excited to start!





Listening very well.




Standing and reciting with the class.  It is so cute to see him doing this!





Had to include this pic of Leila in her new outfit from my mom.  She looks SO grown up here!

Until next time...



3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear it's going well!! They are both SO cute! =)

Rachel said...

I'm the same way when it comes to transitions with my kids. :-) I stress out over them and make it a WAY bigger deal in my head than it EVER ends up being in real life.... well except the potty training. That's been worse than all of my expectations. ;-) Ha ha!! Way to go Liam!! Glad he's excited about school!!

liz said...

We're planning on homeschooling too, and I'm scared to death! I've never had the patience to be a teacher, but hopefully we'll be able to do the videos too. Although I have no clue how I'll get Gehrig to sit still. :)
Can't believe Liam is old enough to be in school! He's such a handsome little guy.