Monday, September 6, 2010

I Just Can't Believe It!

Tomorrow begins a new phase in our lives.  Tomorrow, our little boy "goes" to school.  Tomorrow Liam starts K4.  I just can't believe we are here already.  He's still my little baby!  But as much as I am not ready for this, he is ready for it.  He needs to be challenged and have more stimulation than just the few things I do with him.  I have noticed for about the last 3-4 months he gets bored more quickly with just playing.  So I know that he is ready.  I'm not.  Don't think I will ever be!

We have been working on getting his classroom all set up.  Its not quite ready yet, but good enough to get going.  I am very particular in wanting to have a separate place for him to "go" to school.  That way it is a place different than where he plays and where we spend a lot of our time.  That way, he will know when without any question when it is time to concentrate on school, and when it is time to just play.  I am so thankful that we have the extra room to do so.  I definitely did not want to have school at our kitchen table. Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I just didn't want to do it.

So, as his mommy I have his pencil case all stocked, his new outfit ready to go, his daddy gave him a "school" haircut, and we are both feeling a little bittersweet about the whole thing.  As his teacher I have his papers all ready with their name written on them, his classroom (will be) all set up and ready to go, and eager to begin seeing him learn.  Of course, we are doing video school for this year, but there is still a lot that is taught by me.  I am trying to remember all that I learned in M&M (Materials and Methods, for those of you who were not education majors at PCC) and my other teaching classes.

He is so excited about school.  Tonight, before bed when I was praying with him, he prayed that he would get to go to school tomorrow.  We have been talking about it for weeks.  He is excited - for now at least!  Ha!  The thing I am really going to have to work on is keeping Leila occupied and out of the room during school.  She is really a VERY busy girl and gets into a lot of stuff.  I know a lot of people say that about their kids, but she really, really is.  She honestly does not sit still for 5 mins.  No, not even 2 mins!  She does not watch videos.  Believe me - I have tried!  Sometimes for my sanity I turn on a Curious George or something and have them watch it while I have some quiet.  But not her.  She will not sit down and watch anything.  Reading to her consists of reading about 5 words and then she gets up, tries to get the book from your hands or turns the page or just plain walks away to something else.

My goal with Liam starting school is also to work more with her on sitting down and focusing.  I am going to get some papers/books for her age to work on and start working with her, since it will not be too long before she is in school, too!  I would much rather work with her now before she needs to start school, then be all stressed about it when she has to start.

So that is what is going on here with us!  Be sure to check back for updates on how it is going!  I am quite excited.  I will take pics of the classroom and Liam and post them sometime soon!

Until next time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope it goes really well!! I'm sure he'll love it!! =)

Danielle said...

AWW!!!! So fun!

Wendy said...

So how was it? I'm dying to hear your thoughts on his first day :)