It is at times like these that people pause and reflect on "life." As I was at the funeral home last night with Matt, I sat there, watching this grieving family. The mother and father met at Bible school, had this precious boy and later split up. The father moved away and the mother was left to raise the boy. The boy had autism, but was full of life. Everyone talked about the huge hugs and sloppy kisses he would give. I watched as people went through and gave the family hugs and tried to give words of encouragement. It is at times like these that it is very evident those who have hope in the Lord, and those who don't. Although this boy was 9 years old, he was not really able to communicate verbally. His understanding of things was a bit behind the "normal" 9 year old. Although we do not know God's way completely, I believe this little boy is perfect, in heaven right now. And that is what the family is clinging on to. The hope that they will see him again someday.
But there are those who came through who do not have that hope and they just don't know what to do with their grief. I must tell you it was quite hard for me to go to the funeral home last night. I never want to see someone in a casket, but a young child seems so much harder. What was even harder to see was the boy's father. He did not leave the casket's side except for a few short minutes the entire day. He just stood there, holding the hand of his son, staring at him. I am not sure what all was going through his mind. Maybe it was regret from times he had missed out. Maybe it was times of fun that they had done together, or things they planned to do. All I know, is watching that brought tears to my eyes and made my heart hurt. It really hurt.
I came home, and went to kiss my sleeping children. I can so easily get caught up in my "list" of things I want to accomplish, things I need to do each day. I can so easily get irritated and frustrated when my kids are constantly hanging around my feet, whining or asking me the same question over and over. I have been reminded yet again (I seem to forget so easily) to never take for granted these precious children the Lord has given me. Part of me wants to hold on to them so tight and to NEVER let go. When I hear of someone losing a child, I want to never let mine out of my sight. I find myself holding on tighter and tighter. But the Lord has reminded me that really, these children are His, and He has just given me the task of taking care of them here on earth. And I have to give them back to the Lord on a daily basis.
Does this mean that I will never be frustrated, irritated, or upset with my kids? Of course not. But does this mean that I won't try to cherish every moment we have together, because we never know how long we have with each other? Of course, yes. I think that this past week I have taken more time to just sit and hug and talk with my kids, take more time to just sit and talk with my hubby. I want to cherish every moment with them.
And I encourage you, reader, to do the same. We all have our lists of stuff to do, we all have things we need to be busy doing, but don't be so busy that you forget to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak. Take extra time with your children, Hug your husband (or wife) in the mornings a little longer. Enjoy this time. You never know how much longer you have with them. Never, ever take them or your time with them for granted.
Until next time...
2 comments:
I do know what you mean. This is part of the reason we left FB, I stopped following some blogs etc.. Losing a child of my own, staring at his lifeless face brought some things into perspective. I don't want to focus or read about all the negatives moms go through. Every mom faces discouragement/frustration/annoyance, but really, does everyone want to read about it every day? Sure it is helpful to read it on occasion so you know "I'm not the only one!" But man, life is so short to focus so heavily on the negatives of being a mom! The things that may annoy us now will be missed when our kids are older and we long for those little tykes.
Anyway, I was praying for Matt knowing he would be a part of this funeral. I can imagine it wasn't easy.
Before I read this I was at home with Evie (from church, we were both just tuckered out) and I thought to myself." As much as this crazy little girl wears me out, I have no greater joy in life than being her mommy!" She is so joyful and contagiously excited about life!!! As I was putting her jammies on she squealed so happily and threw her arms around my neck because they were her Dora jammies! I just love her passion for life. She is a great reminder to me daily! This post made me cry! It is so often we get caught up in the mundane, that we forget the precious. Love you Emily and your sweet little treasures! I hope you can come for Thanksgiving. We miss you!!!!
Post a Comment