We all have them. Pet peeves. I, for one, have many. One is putting the toilet paper roll on the holder so that it rolls from the bottom instead of the top. Now that is just silly. Why would anyone do it that way? Another one of mine is, when watching Wheel of Fortune, someone blurting out only part of the puzzle, when they don't know the whole thing. Now, c'mon. Wait until you know the WHOLE puzzle before you say it. Maybe I was still trying to figure it out and didn't happen to know that the second word was "BURGER." That just ruins the whole thing because then I don't feel like I figured it out all by myself. I hate it when people mispronounce the word "coupon" (hehe - mom!:-) ) or uses the word "anxious" in the place of "eager." The phrase is supposed to be "I couldn't care less" but most people say "I could care less" which doesn't seem to make sense to me. By that you are saying that you care some because you could care less, but by saying "couldn't" you are implying that you don't care at all. Not one tiny bit.
Okay, by now I can see some of my family members sarcastically saying, "Okay, Emily. I couldn't care less about all this. Where is this going?" Well, I will tell you. I have a new pet peeve that I wanted to "get off my chest." It has been irritating me for some time, and I just have to get it out.
First of all, let me tell you a story. In high school, during our Christmas break from school, our youth group had a Winter Retreat to basically the Middle of Nowhere, Colorado. Seriously. I still to this day have no idea where exactly we went. All I know is that once we got to a certain place, we all climbed out of the bus, gathered our luggage, threw it onto what they called a Snow Cat which was really just a big truck looking vehicle that had tank like "wheels." We all climbed into a wagon-ish sleigh (haha - don't you just love my descriptions!) and off we went for several more snow covered miles. We were told that if the sleigh started to drift toward the edge of the road (which is where the rather large CLIFF was located) we were to all run and put all the weight on the other side of the sleigh to keep it from going off the edge. Hmmm.. I wonder if our parents knew about these dangerous conditions...
Anyways, we got to our destination, climbed out and were in snow so deep it came almost to our waists (no short jokes here, please. Even to my waist, that is still deep!) It took us about an hour to walk 50 feet with our luggage to our cabins. There was no electricity in this place, just good old fashioned wood stoves. And here we spent a glorious two nights and three days. Actually, it was fun. Not too many rules, but the main one my youth pastor severely enforced was that we were not allowed to complain. But, if we felt the need to say that we were cold, we HAD to say it this way - "I'm cold, but I'm happy." We laughed about this, said it a lot that weekend, and made it home safe and sound. But what we didn't realize is what Pastor Jay was really teaching us. He was teaching us to be happy, and not complain, even though our circumstances were not the most ideal.
I remember telling this to my group of friends at college, and we all decided to institute a similar "rule" when we were all together. Whenever we heard one of us complain, we would ask them to tell us three things they were thankful for. Well, let me tell you, that was great for us, well, me at least. It really made me realize two things. One, that I complained a lot! And two, that I have so much more to be thankful for than to complain about.
Now, on to my pet peeve. I am getting a little irritated with how many people use their Facebook status' as a means to complain. I know, "it" asks you to write what's on your mind. Well, if that is so, then some of our "friends" always have a complaint on their mind. I thought about writing something on our status that said, "Matt.emily wishes people would stop using their Facebook status to complain about their life. I'm tired of hearing it," but I thought that would offend some people, and maybe isn't the best way to go about it.
I'm tired of hearing mom's complain about no sleep, dirty laundry, troubles with their kids, etc. I know - we all have bad days, and we all have rough times. I will admit, too, that I have done the same thing on Facebook. But hopefully no more. Lately, all Matt and I do is put on a thought provoking or challenging quote to stop and make you think. I love it when people put on praises, how God has provided, quotes from songs, verses, etc. I don't even mind mom's asking advice from other moms. I just hate the complaining, and have almost de-friended some people because of it.
This has been bothering me for some time, but especially lately. I was reminded how important it is to be thankful for all the little things in life this past week. It was a hard to see that grieving family who lost their 9 year old son that I told you about last time. We should never take things for granted. So, I wanted to list some things that I have been extra thankful for this past week.
I'm thankful for:
- A godly, wonderful, handsome husband who is dedicated to me and our kids. Who shows me deep love and truly cares about my needs and wants.
- Christian parents who saw fit to have me in church at a young age, kept me out of the public school system, and did their best to raise me to love the Lord.
- Christian in-laws who have taken me in as their own daughter, and willing to help me out (like when I am feeling very, very sick - to come over and get the kids bathed and in bed and do the dishes to name just one).
- Three beautiful children who are thus far very healthy and growing as they should. There are so many couples out there doing anything they can to have children, or many who have lost children.
- A nice, cozy home that has plenty of space for us. We have electricity, running water, septic, etc.
- I have a dishwasher that I just put my dishes in (without rinsing - remember? :-) ) then, at night I just press start then go to bed and wake up in the morning with nice clean dishes.
- I have a very nice washer and drying that cleans all our clothes and drys them too! Magic!
- I have my sight.
- I am able to walk, and move about all on my own (this one I NEVER have taken for granted!)
- I have a great church that shows us such love and takes very good care of us.
- I have a fabulous family - three brothers, four awesome sis-in-laws (can't wait to see you, Michelle!), three brother-in-laws, LOTS of gorgeous nieces and nephews (with more on the way - wa-hoo!)
- I have my freedoms - religious and otherwise.
- And, above all else, I have Jesus. I have eternal life in Christ. I have salvation. Don't deserve it, but I have it! Wow!
And that is just to name a few. I am just so blessed. What in the world do I have to complain about? So, now I ask you. What are you thankful for?
Until next time...
7 comments:
Couldn't have said it better myself :) The negative status' were becoming a "thorn in my flesh" so to speak. I don't want to focus on the negative, even in hard times because God is so good all the time! He is unchanging and that means His goodness is always there, even if I recognize/acknowledge it or not. I did like seeing your all's fb status when we were still on fb because we really are called to encourage other believers.
The point is, we do all struggle with different areas in our lives. Wherever we are in life (age/place) the good will accompany some bad, but focusing on God's goodness will far out weigh the bad at any given moment.
Spoken very well Preacher Em :) hehehe!!
Yay for your Emily! I agree 110%. I have thought about just getting off of Facebook all together because of this very thing! Thanks for your encouraging words/thoughts (hee! hee!). You are a real encouragement to me and I love reading your blog.
What am I thankful for - I am thankful for you and Matt. You teach me a lot. I love you both very much! Have a good day! :)MOM
You can hide people on Facebook! That is what i do. Hehehehehehehe:) I will say a pet peeve I have had is when people say ecspecially instead of especially! Argh!:) I don't have a lot of time my little munchkins are feisty today;) I am thankful for the things you mentioned!! We have so many blessings! Great post Em, Love yah!!!!
Danielle
Apparently you're not thankful for your sister. Not that I'm complaining, just sayin'
Re: Amanda - I do seem to have forgotten to type that I am thankful for my sister - and for that I am forever indebted to you! I do know that I was about to write it, then realized that I originally said 3 sis-in-laws and 1 bro in law, when I remembered that was wrong too! Hey, it was late, it was a long day, and I have had 3 kids. My mind just doesn't work like it used to. You'll understand some day! BUT, I am VERY thankful for you! I love you so much and miss you a ton (even though you just did another pet peeve of mine - using the phrase "just sayin.'" I am SO TIRED of hearing that! ;-)
Emily, you sound, quite peeved about many things my dear...hehehehehe!
I knew you didn't like that phrase... I don't really care for it either. Just doing my duty as the little sister: Always reminding you of why you love me! :) Miss you lots and will be praying for your MRI on Thursday.
Wish I could be there with you...
Post a Comment