Monday, October 18, 2010

Something to Pray About

So, I guess that it is time to tell you more specifically about some health issues I have been having, and ask you all to pray about them.  But I guess I should give some background information in case anyone doesn't know about my history.

I guess to shorten it down, I have had 4 back surgeries - three to remove a tumor from my spinal cord, and one to correct extreme curving of my thoracic spine by fusing one of my ribs to my spine.  (They used my own rib instead of a metal rod - which gives me more freedom and movement - which I am very thankful for.)  My first surgery was when I was just over 2 years old, once they discovered I had the tumor growing, but were not successful in removing all of it.  This resulted in my second surgery just about 4 months later.  From that time until I was 15, I had no trouble with tumors, just other problems with my back.  I have extreme scoliosis and kyphosis.  If you don't know what those are, they are just the medical terms for the curving of the spine.  Scoliosis causes the spine to curve to the side, whereas kyphosis causes the spine to curve forward, sort of in a hunchback way.

So, if you take a piece of paper, and draw and "S", that is pretty much what my whole spine looks like.  And that is NOT an exaggeration!  So, to help me during my "growing years" to grow as straight as possible, I wore a back brace.  In total, I wore the brace for 12 years.  When I was 13, they decided the curving was getting too severe, which is why I had the surgery to put the rib in my back.  Then, when I was 15, I woke up one regular morning, stood up out of bed to get ready for school, only to fall back down again, pretty much unable to move and in extreme pain.  We had an emergency MRI only to discover that after all these years, my tumor was back.  I had surgery a couple weeks later, but they were unable to remove all of the tumor due to its position on the spinal cord.

We have always known that there is a chance that the tumor can start growing again.  But I have not had any unusual problems   Until about 7 months ago, that is.

Shortly after Libby was born, I began to experience some strange sensations on my torso - kind of a burning sensation on my skin.  I ignored it at first, but I kept feeling it so I started to try to see what triggered it to start.  Then, I started having some numbness in my legs and tingling in my hands, all of which are not really great signs.  So we made an appointment to see a neurologist.  I saw her, and she wanted me to have an MRI.  Well, that was back in July, and getting the MRI scheduled is a big long story in and of itself, so I won't go into that here.  I'll just say that it is FINALLY scheduled and I am now asking for prayer.

My MRI will be this coming Thursday, October 21 at 9:30 a.m. Atlantic time.  Please pray for me, especially during the test.  I don't know how else to say it except that I HATE these MRI tests.  I have had more than I can remember, and they are pretty much torture for me.  If you have had one, you know that you lay on a not-so-comfy table/bed, go into a not-so-roomy tube (praise the Lord I am not claustrophobic!), and stay very, very still while the big machine clanks and clatters all around you.  My MRIs last about 2 hours, and usually by the end I am in so much pain from having to lie so still and flat on my back for so long.  I loathe these tests, but know it is really the only way to find out what is going on.

As for the results, I actually am not too worried about it.  Oh, I have my times where I get very scared wondering if the tumor is growing, what all that would mean.  I have three kids to take care of now.  It scares me to think that I won't be able to take care of them.  But then I remember that God is in control, and that this is not taking Him by surprise.  He has His perfect plan, and will walk with me all through this - no matter the results.

My dr. seems to think that it is just scar tissue that may be forming on some nerves.  Also, I am going to see a chiropractor in a couple weeks.  Maybe I just need some adjustments to get my spine back in as much order as we can!  Or, maybe it is a tumor. We just don't know at this point.  Please just pray for strength through all of this.  I know I have much prayer support through family, church, and friends.  The verse that I say to myself every time I find myself starting to worry or get scared is, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on these, because he trusteth in thee."  I will have that "perfect peace," that "peace that passeth all understanding" as long as my mind is stayed on the Lord, and I am trusting Him.  He only wants what is best for me, and I believe that with all of my heart.

So please pray for me this week.  I will admit that it is going to be a hard week, but I have prayer, I have my Bible, I have a loving husband right by my side, and I have the Lord.  I will make it through.  I just want to get the test over with since I am dreading it so much!  I do not know when I will get the results, but I will keep you all informed.  Thank you so much for your prayers.  They mean so much to me!

Until next time...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely praying, Emily!! Keep us updated!

Danielle Doan said...

So glad to hear that the MRI is finally scheduled!! We have been praying fro you every night. Love you!

Rachel said...

Will be praying for your test Em! I am claustrophobic so I can't imagine being still for that test! Maybe you'll fall asleep and get a nice 2 hour nap!!! :-)

Wendy said...

Been praying all along. If you need anything, seriously, don't hesitate to ask, ok? Love you and am praying!

Anonymous said...

Next to the Lord and Matt - no one loves you more than your dad and I. We are trusting, praying and knowing that God will be with you and with us during this week. I have thought about it several times a day since you gave us the date. Just know that if you need us - we will be there as quickly as we can!
We are praying for comfort for you during the test; clear pictures and wisdom for the doctors to read everything correctly. Love you, MOM