Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Day The Garage Door Fell

(Aww... wasn't that a sweet post my Valentine left for me yesterday?  I will admit that, I did not get on here yesterday, so I did not see it until today.  When we went to bed last night, he noticed I hadn't said anything about it, so he asked me if I had found his note.  I felt dumb.  He was being all sweet and romantic, and I was totally not getting it.  I don't think he was offended too much.  I think...)

So.... things have been interesting here in the Sealy household lately.  Do any of you know of that short story "The Night the Bed Fell?"  It is actually quite humorous and if you have never read it, you should do so!  But that really has nothing to do with the point of this post I am about to share with you.  Except maybe the similarities in the titles.  But anyway...

As you all know, we moved into this house a year and a half ago.   And we have loved fixing it up and decorating it all to our taste.  The house is about 26 years old, which is actually quite new compared to a lot of the houses around here.  We have friends that live in a really cool farmhouse that is almost 100 years old!  Anyways (have you noticed how easily I get sidetracked?)  we have slowly been fixing things up.  When we moved in, there were TONS of cosmetic things that I couldn't wait to change.  Instead of me describing it to you, let me give you a little picture tour of before and afters of our house....

Kitchen/dining before.
Kitchen before.
Kitchen after.
Dining after.
Hallway off of dining room before.
Hallway after.
Bathroom before.
Bathroom after.


Living room before.
Living room after.


Front door before. (sorry its sideways!)

Front door after.
Girls' room before.


Layers and layers of wallpaper in girls' room.

I HATE wallpaper!!!!

Girls' room after.

Note: those stripes are hand painted by wonderful hubby.  It is NOT wallpaper!


Liam's room before (the mess is not always there, just took picture after we had already started...)

Tearing out the closet to make a bigger master closet!

Liam's room after.

By the way, there is now brown crayon all over the light blue wall.  Whose bright idea was it to give my kids non-washable crayons! :-)  


The "walk-in" master closet.  Its sorta more like a dressing room.  And I LOVE it.  Before it was just a regular old closet. (sorry, don't have a picture of the before!)

Yes, that's a pack n' play in my closet!  That's where Libby takes her naps.

Office/classroom before.

Office/classroom before.

Office/classroom after.

There's actually all kinds of stuff on the walls now.  I should take another picture...


Outside kitchen door in garage - nothing.

Outside kitchen door - laundry room! (almost finished..)
All done! (I was gonna say excuse the mess, but, c'mon!  Its a laundry room for crying out loud!)
House before.

House after (well, garage.)

Beautiful.  Just beautiful.

Yup.  That's us now.  Those country hicks who use blue tarp for anything and everything - even a garage door!  The garage doors have never really worked right since we moved here.  Actually, the one on the right doesn't work so it stays down all the time.  But the one on the left did work and that is where we park, er - uh, used to park the van.  But on Saturday, the door went on its last ride up.  And on its way down, well, it came down.  Literally.  As in falling off.  Off the track.  And was hanging on by its last thread.  Literally.  As in hanging by two thin thread-like wires on the ends.  And then fell completely to the floor.  Which is where it remains to this day.  So, in order to preserve our "stuff" that is in the garage and to keep the snow/wind/animals out, we have succumbed to the classic country fix.  At least we didn't use duct tape.  Although now that I think about it...

So that is what's going on here!  Fun stuff!  Lord willing we will get a new door this weekend or next week.  But it will end up being a beautiful white door.  Why not have un-matching doors.  I hear clashing is in.  At least that is what we are telling ourselves!

I suppose that is it for now.  Tune in next time to hear about my adventures in doughnut making.  I'm sure you gonna want to hear about that one! :-)

Until next time...



4 comments:

samm said...

Love your blog- and all your house updates look GREAT! You are a super decorator!

danielle Doan said...

Are those the Pioneer women's doughnuts??? I have been dying to make them!!!! Can't wait to hear how it went:)

Matt and Emily Sealy said...

Sahsha - thanks! Its still a work in progress, but we are having fun with it all!
Danielle - YES! They are her doughnuts and I must say they are delicious! I was actually thinking of you the whole time I was making them. I thought it was something you would want to make too!

Wendy said...

So the title alone had me laughing! I'm sorry the door fell down but it does make for a pretty good story :) I'm still thinking "why did she take down all that wall paper?"..... it was so.....lovely and "girlish" ;)