Okay, back to my story. I had decided that I would try the doughnuts on Monday, Valentines day. Matt and I didn't spend money on "fancy" gifts for each other, but I still wanted to do something for him. And I know that he loves doughnuts too. So that was my plan. But I failed at it. First of all, when I went to make them, I realized two things. One, the dough needed to be refrigerated for at least 8 hours. Oops. Second, I needed 2 eggs, and I only had 1 in the fridge and it was majorly snowing outside. Double oops. Bad planning on my part. So, anyway, I had to put it off until Tuesday. But Matt didn't seem to mind. It ended up that we did get some eggs later that day on Monday, so I made the dough that night and had it refrigerate over night. I got up the next morning all excited to try this out.
| Am I the only one who enjoys rolling cutting out dough? |
Actually, I was excited and nervous at the same time. Nervous because I am not a fan of cooking with hot oil. To be honest, I am a real wimp when it comes to that. I actually hate it. I love to eat bacon, but hate frying it up. I love to make homemade fries, but hate the frying in oil part. Usually, I have Matt do it since it doesn't bother him (he used to work at a KFC and worked with hot oil all the time). But, this was supposed to be a gift to him, so I didn't want to ask him to help me with it. Plus he was gone while I was making them.
So, I rolled out the dough, let them rise, made the glaze and started to heat the oil. Well, if you've ever worked with oil, you know that it is hard to regulate at first. And I don't own a deep frying thermometer (hint, hint - my b-day is next week!). So it was a lot of guess work.
| Oh, so yummy! |
Matt came home soon after they were ready, and was able to eat one while it was still warm. Then I ate one. And they tasted.........DELICIOUS! So light and fluffy and gooey and yummy! Like Krispy Kreme - only better (probably am a little partial!)! They are just so good, and it made quite a bit so we have been enjoying them for a couple days!
So, my first attempt at making doughnuts seems to be a success! I'm not one who usually toots my own horn but - Toot Toot!! Good job Emily (well, except for the first one. Fail on that one!)! I am also proud of myself for overcoming my fear of hot oil and frying them "all by myself-is(as Leila says)."
So if you are looking for something yummy to eat - try these out! They are right up there with cinnamon rolls for me!
| My first one. Not so yummy! |
Until next time...
2 comments:
I've been dying to try these! Thanks for posting your success/fail story! They look so yummy! I'm going to refrain from licking the computer screen though! ;-)
Good job Em! They look great! My first batch of doughnuts (the ones posted on my blog from a few years ago) didn't rise enough so they were kind of flat. However, I learned my lesson :) Aren't homemade doughnuts the best?!
Post a Comment