Saturday, May 14, 2011

Woohoo!

Hello!  And how are you this fine evening?  We all are doing quite well.  Besides being quite tired.  But who isn't, huh?  I actually was all ready a couple nights ago to sit down and write all about how Liam's surgery went, but Blogger wasn't working for quite some time.  Then I got too busy with my yard sale, so I haven't had a chance to post anything this week!  I will for sure post about Liam's surgery this week, but for now I was just going to let you all know that I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth.

Liam's surgery was on Monday, so we were busy pretty much the whole day with that.  Then the rest of the week we were scrambling around getting all things organized for the yard sale.  I don't know - maybe I went a little overboard with my organization, but it sure took a LOT of work.  I had those little dot stickers with the price on everything, and had all the like things sorted together, etc.  Then, starting Wednesday night, we went to the place where we were having the sale and started setting up.  We went in with 4 other families from our church and rented an old community hall in our town to use for the sale.  It was perfect because you can set up early and not have to worry about anything - especially the weather!  Which is great because it has been raining a ton here lately.

So Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday we spent lots of time doing all that.  I was going to take a picture of all the stuff I was selling so you would believe me when I say I had a TON of stuff, but I forgot to.  So you will just have to take my word for it.  We had so much stuff!  Then, this morning we got up early and I went to the sale while Matt went to church for a men's breakfast, then he came later.

For the first 3 hours it was non-stop.  There were often at least 20 people there, and we had a long line waiting to pay.  It was great!  I may be weird for thinking this, but it is a little strange to see people paying you and then walking off with your stuff!  But, it feels so stinkin' good to have so much clutter gone from my house!  A few things that I sold made me a little sad to sell.  For instance, I sold the stroller set that we bought when I was expecting Liam.  We used that for all three kids.  We also sold our cool swing that we used for all three kids too.  It was kinda sad to let that go, but, I just remind myself that those are just things and I have memories that will last forever.  And pictures! ;-)

So, we sold a ton of our stuff.  We did have a lot left over, but not as much as I was expecting.  I think we probably sold over half our stuff.  And let it suffice to say that we made a lot more money than we were expecting!  Praise the Lord for that!  If you are a little strapped for cash, just go through your house and find what you don't use or don't need, and sell it.  That will help you some, I guarantee it!

One interesting thing about yard sales too is the people you meet.  We saw lots of cute kids, had some nice chats with several moms in the same place in life as we are, and laughed alot.  But, we also met some interesting individuals as well.  Two in particular stand out to me.

The first was a man, probably in his 40's.  His wife told him to come pay us for a bike we were selling.  So it was me and two of the other ladies sitting at the cash table (there was so much going on it took all three of us to bag, record, and take the cash!).  At that particular time there was no one at the table.  He started talking to us about the bike, then looked at me and said, "You have such a beautiful smile!  Its just beautiful!"  I was a little taken aback, not really expecting that, so I just laughed and said, "Thank you."  "No, really, you have a beautiful smile."  He said again.  Then, he came over right beside me and held out his hand and asked me my name.  I wasn't sure what to do, so I shook his hand and said my name.  Then, he bent down, kissed my hand, then got on one knee and said, "Emily, will you marry me?"

Now, you need to know something about me.  When I get in situations such as this when I don't know what to do, I just start laughing.  And that's what I did.  I laughed.  And laughed.  Then, as he was trying to kiss my hand again, I tried to pull my hand away (he was holding on tight) and told him, "Sorry, I'm already taken and very happy about it!"  He then told me that didn't matter.  I told him, "Well, my husband will be here any minute so you can talk to him about it but he may not like you asking me that."  It was at this point that the lady sitting next to me leaned over and said very directly and loudly, "Yes, she has a wonderful husband who is the PASTOR of our church!"  Haha.  She told me later she thought that would scare him off! ;-) Well, he then got up, realizing I was rejecting him and then went over to my friend Theresa and started to try to kiss her hand.  She wasn't having that so she tried to pull her hand away.  The only problem with that was he was holding on so tight that when she pulled her hand back to herself, he came with it and it brought his face really close to her, which freaked her out!

Anyways, finally he stood back up and looked at me again, repeated about my smile, then asked me the color of my eyes.  At this point I was pretending I was busy with something and didn't answer him.  He then told the other two ladies that I had such a sweetness about me that showed on my face.  I just looked at him and told him that was what the Lord does to you when you have Him in your life.  He didn't answer that and soon left!  Whew!  let me tell you that was really awkward and I wished Matt had been there!  One of the ladies knows this guy from her work (he comes into her store often) and the man isn't quite all there, if you know what I mean.  Obviously!  That's not really something you should do, especially with your wife a few feet away!  Shortly after he left we pulled out some hand sanitizer and washed our hands as best we could!  Haha!

Another person that stands out from today was an elderly man, about 83.  He is a dual US / Canadian citizen and he started to tell us how he worked at the White House for 15 years.  He worked for President Kennedy and was actually not far from him when the President was shot.  He had quite a few neat stories that he shared with us (you know how elderly people love to share their stories! ;-) )  He served overseas for many years as well.  I enjoyed listening to his stories and also made sure to thank him for his service to our country.  I think we should all do that as often as we can.  There are so many men and women who are currently or have risked their lives for our sake, for our freedom!

So, anyway, that was just a little of our experience today.  It did rain all day, but that didn't keep people away from the sale!  Yay!  We also decided to have another one in the fall, so I guess I still have more work to do!  Tomorrow my mom leaves to go back to NH, and we decided that the kids and I would go too, with Matt coming the following week!  I am excited to get away for a little while, but am really going to miss my hubby for all next week!

Well, I guess that is all!  I really need to go to bed - I keep misspelling everything!  Sorry if this doesn't make sense either!  I am too tired to proof-read like I usually do!  Have a great Sunday!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

That was so funny reading about the man who proposed :) While I was reading it I thought "I bet Emily was giggling" and then you added that part :) That really is wonderful your sale went so well!