Monday morning, May 9, we got up bright and early to drive the hour it took to get to the hospital where his procedure was going to be done. Matt and I were praying the entire way - not only for safety and such, but also because we were worried that they would not do the surgery due to a cough and the sniffles that he had developed a few days before. We knew that if the child was sick, they will not administer anesthesia. That is a good precaution, but if the surgery was not done that day, it would be another month or two before we could have it done! So every time he coughed or sneezed or sniffled, we would pray.
The hardest part of the drive there was trying to explain to Liam that he couldn't have anything to eat or drink. He didn't exactly understand why we were not letting him have anything. That's a hard thing for a 4 year old to understand!
Well, we got the hospital, checked in at registration and headed to the day surgery department. There was a whole room next to the waiting room that had all kinds of toys and games which Liam headed straight to and began to play. I checked in with the receptionist there. She verified all his info then said she needed to put the bracelet on him. She asked me if I thought he would be okay with that. I was like, "Um, yes. I don't see why he wouldn't." "Well," she said, "I'm 0 for 3 today. Some kids just won't let me put it on them!" But I told her Liam was pretty obedient and she shouldn't have a problem. Which she didn't. That's my boy! He just stuck out his arm and gave no fight. However, I did see a little while later another little boy come about Liam's age and he refused to have the bracelet put on and gave up a HUGE fit about it! So I guess she does have trouble with that!
Well, not too long later, they called us back and we got him changed into his hospital gown. He laughed at the gown because it "was open in the back!" Ha! I guess he thought that was pretty funny! Then we went back out so he could play with the toys some more before it was time for him to go in. After about 30 mins. they called us back and we went back and the dr. came in and explained everything she was going to do and what we should expect for recovery and the next couple days. Next the anesthesiologist came in and explained that side of things. As she was talking with us, Liam started coughing, and I thought, "Oh, great. This is where she says she can't do it." But she checked his breathing, listened to his lungs, and asked if he had a fever. He didn't and hadn't, so she said it was fine to just continue on and that the risks were only raised a very small amount, but not very much. Whew! She left after that. Then we were left alone for a few minutes. He was really good at this point, although he kept complaining of his mouth hurting. We told him how soon he would be feeling much better.I can still see him, sitting on that "funny bed with wheels" in his hospital gown and thinking how little and vulnerable and innocent he looked. I hated that he was having to do this at such a young age, but was so relieved that he would be feeling better soon. We just talked to him and had a nice little quiet time with for a few minutes. And then the nurse came to get him.
I'm not quite sure what we both expected to happen. Matt and I knew we were not allowed in the OR. But it is very hard to watch your child be carried away from you by a nurse and you know he is going to the OR and going to be put under anesthesia. Its actually quite scary. Anyways, the nurse came, started talking to him about Thomas the Train and stickers and stuff, and just picked him up and walked away. Matt and I were just standing there, watching him go and feeling absolutely helpless. Only once did he look back at us, but still, did not cry or give up any fight at all. I was SO proud of him! But my mommy's heart was scared and wanted to run after him. I wanted to be with him until he was asleep. What if he was crying for me - and I wasn't there for him! He was going to be scared when they gave him the IV and he needed his mommy! But I couldn't go with him.
And that is when you are reminded that, really, he truly is in God's hands. These children are given to us by the Lord, but they are really His. He loves them - even more than we do! And it was a battle for me to trust the Lord and put my faith that God will take care of my baby boy. And He will. And He did - even better than I ever could!
So, for the next two plus hours we sat in the waiting room. And waited. And waited. I hated not know how he was. I hated not being with him. But I just kept praying. Matt and I talked about how hard that was to see him taken from us and how helpless we felt.
Finally, after what seemed like close to forever, they called us back and said he was done. I think we pretty much ran to the back and I was so relieved to see him. His face was quite swollen and he was crying, but he was done. The nurses told us he did really well and everything went very smoothly. He was trying to eat a popcicle, but really just wanted to sleep. We both just hugged and kissed him and told him how proud we were of him. Then Matt laid down on the bed and held him while he slept.
About 30 mins later the nurse told us all was good and we could head home whenever we wanted. So we got him dressed, and Matt carried our big little boy out to the car and we headed home. I was so relieved to have it over with and so proud of how well he did. The rest of that day he was a little out of it, but ever since then he has been so much happier.
Now, I realize this was just "minor" surgery and that there are many parents out there who have so much more they have gone through with their children. But it doesn't change the fact that we love our children and would do anything to keep them from pain and hurt. I wished so much to go through this for him. But I do know that the Lord has taught me much through it all.
First and foremost, He has taught me that I must fully trust Him in everything. When all this started, and we found out that is was going to cost MUCH more than we had, we had to trust Him that it would come in time. We had to have the money before his surgery and we had 2 weeks to come up with it. And let me tell you, that within one and a half weeks, the Lord not only provided enough for the surgery, but also extra that would cover the expense of gas and even lunch for Matt and I while we were there. And would you even know that a week after the surgery I got a call from the dentist telling us that we OVERPAID them and they were sending us a check back? God is good!
I also had to fully trust Him when I had to let my boy go and essentially place him in God's hands. I couldn't go with him (not that me being there would stop anything from happening!) and had to trust God to take care of him. Which is really how it should be all the time. But boy is it a hard thing to learn and put into continual practice!
So, we are so happy that this is all over with, and now that we know that Liam's tooth enamel is quite soft, we are taking all the precautions we can to help keep this from happening again. Its been two weeks since his surgery, and he hasn't complained of his mouth since. He keeps saying, "Mommy, my mouth is all better!" Its so nice to be able to have him eat and not cry because it hurts! The dr. told us that he actually had an exposed nerve that she treated and put a crown over so the pain is gone from that!
I thank all of you who prayed for us during this time. It was very comforting to know that not only we were praying for Liam, but many others were too.
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment