Let's see... I guess I will go back to the beginning of last week. We had several dr. appts (which, for once were NOT for me! They were for Matt!) Thanks to that my husband is now able to clearly see my beautiful face again now that he has a new prescription in his new glasses! Then, early Thursday morning Matt and I headed off to the hospital for Matt to have a minor surgery. Don't worry - he's fine. It was nothing major, but it did put him on bed rest for a day or two.
While we were at the hospital in the waiting room waiting for him to go in, we started chatting with another lady who was sitting there two. Shortly after that Matt was called back but I continued to sit there and talk with this lady. It was really nice to get to know her and through our chatting we learned that she went to Northland Bible College for a year, and she knew my former youth pastor and his wife. Then I learned that they had been in the camp ministry in Ontario for a few years until the camp was shut down, and they moved here and now her husband is a paramedic. They have 4 kids right around the same ages as my kids(her youngest is 5 months old). It was really nice to chat with her and we exchanged how to contact each other and I plan on getting to know her even better in the near future. She actually doesn't live to far from my house!
Then the nurse called me back and I sat with Matt while he was waiting to be taken to the OR. We were just chatting when I saw a sign that said cell phones should be turned off. I will admit that I don't always heed these signs. But it reminded me that I should make sure my phone had the sound turned off. When I pulled it out I had several messages from my mom and sister both urgent and needed me to call right away. I actually didn't have much reception so I just wrote back asking what was going on. It was then that my mom informed me that my uncle had passed away earlier that morning and that my parents were on their way to Grand Junction to help break the news to my mom's parents.
This came as quite a shock as my uncle was pretty young - he was my mom's younger brother and was not really sick so it was totally unexpected. He wasn't completely healthy - he had been a smoker and drinker for much of his life, and his liver was damaged from that. But he hadn't been very sick recently. He went to bed Wednesday night and sometime early Thursday morning he took his last breath and passed into eternity, lying in bed next to his wife. We cannot know the true condition of his spiritual life - only God does - but from all appearances, we don't believe he was saved. That is a hard pill to swallow, but we just have to remember that each is responsible for his own life. My uncle had heard on many occasions the gospel, so he was without excuse. But its still very, very hard to think about. Besides my mom, everyone on her side of the family is unsaved as far as we know. We are praying that God would use this sudden loss to soften my family's heart and bring them to Him.
Also lately, we have been having some crazy, crazy weather. Last Monday we had literally the WORST thunderstorm I have ever seen in my life. It all started with some very dark, suspicious looking clouds. WE kept an eye on them, and sure enough, one just a ways away from our house was forming into a funnel. Then the wind picked up, it started to hail, and the cloud looked more and more like a funnel. We gathered the kids and went down to our basement for a while and stayed down there for about 30 mins until the storm seemed to pass. It wasn't until later that we found out that we were in fact in an extreme tornado warning. I will admit there was a few minutes there that I was a little scared! One thing about living in the country like we do - there is no local emergency system to warn us of stuff like that. If we lived closer to town, we would have heard the sirens and alarms going off, but we are too far away to hear any of that!
So then we went about our night, finished supper, got the kids in bed (I skipped baths that night due to all the lightning!). The power had been flicking on and off all evening. Then, around 9:30p.m. it went off for good. It was then I realized that we really are not that prepared for an emergency. Oh, I have candles - but they all are like Yankee candles that are scented. I had to light all the ones I had so my house had a very strong smell of cucumber melon, apples, cinnamon, and spice. Nice when you burn just one at a time, but not so nice when they ALL are burning at the same time! We can't run any of our water with no power, so I couldn't do dishes or laundry or anything (rats!). We decided to just go to bed and enjoy the sleep. But that was hard because there was SO much thunder and lighting and it was so close and so loud! I kept expecting the kids to wake up from the noise but they slept through it all!
It was starting to get really hot and humid in our house, so we were just praying the power would come back on so we could use our fans and our one portable air conditioner. Finally around 12:30a.m. it came back on and I was so happy. We really starting to get hot! But that was short lived because about 30 mins later it went back off and didn't come back on until 2 p.m. the next day. We slept some that night with it storming almost all night, then got up first thing, called Matt's parents to find out they did have power (and they have central air! Woohoo!) so we headed over there for the day.
Since then we have had lots of thunderstorms and rain and the power seems to flick on and off all the time (has several times today in fact!). And our temps just seem to rise higher and higher. I think I could take the heat a little easier if it weren't so humid. Seriously, it feels like we are in Florida here! And the next few weeks are just supposed to get hotter and hotter! Some are even calling for close to 40's(which in Celsius that is HOT!).
Next week we have VBS so we will be really busy with that. We are praying that those hot temps don't come next week since we have no type of AC or anything at church. The basement there does stay somewhat cool, but our auditorium is like a sauna! But again, I really shouldn't complain. Soon enough we will be freezing our tushies off. I just find it harder to take the heat when I am pregnant.
Speaking of which, that is going well. I am feeling mucho better, which is good since I only have one pill left to help with the morning sickness! I am now 13 1/2 weeks along. But I certainly look like I am a bit farther. Lest you think I am exaggerating, I plan to take a pic tomorrow when I am all dressed for church to let you know that I am telling the truth. I am already getting the, "Oh, when are you due?" questions from strangers at the store. One girl literally let her mouth drop open when I told her I was 11 weeks along. Apparently she was 2 or 3 weeks ahead of me and you couldn't tell yet. I just smiled at her and said, "Well, its my 4th so...." Not that I enjoy having to explain why I'm so "big." Seriously, people. Just don't make comments to a preggo woman about her size - no matter if you mean it to be good or bad. Either way it can be taken offensively and put the preggo woman in a bad mood. Just shut your trap! :-) Okay, I'll get off of that rabbit trail...
So, I guess that is what has been happening here lately. Lots more, I am sure, but I can't seem to remember at the moment. I'm a little tired. I hope everyone is having a great summer!
Until next time.....
1 comment:
For what it's worth, I read your blog. :). I feel bad for you in the heat though! I'll be praying our power stays on and you can get some relief.
Post a Comment