Friday, August 19, 2011

Pain Free

Thank you all who have been praying for Amy Bixby.  She went Home with the Lord early this morning.  We rejoice in the fact that she is now completely cancer and pain free.  She is actually better off than all of us here.  But we grieve the loss of a friend, wife, and mother.

I was able to talk with Teresa (her sister and my best bud) for almost 2 hours last night and then again today.  We were reminiscing about the fun times we had when we worked at the WILDS of the Rockies Christian camp.  On the weekends, Teresa and I would escape to Steamboat Springs and stay the weekend at Amy and Jon's house.  I have many fond memories of some great talks and times spent there.  Amy has always been in my mind as a godly example of a Biblical wife.  She submitted to her husband, even when he asked her to do things that I didn't understand.  She showed me how to be a loving mother, yet still firm in discipline.  And she often encouraged me in praying for and looking for the right guy for me (I had not met Matt yet at this point in my life.)

Was Amy perfect?  No.  No one is.  But she truly did strive to do what was right and live a life that would be pleasing to God.  And I have no doubt that God is truly pleased with her.  I wish I had answers as to why He allowed her to leave us so soon.  She was 37 years old.  I wish I knew why He allowed her to suffer so much physically near the end.  I wish I knew why those dear, seven children will now live the rest of their lives without their mother.  But I do not know God's ways.  Except that they are perfect.  Perfect.  We may never understand, and we really don't need to.  You can already see from just the comments on her blog how her testimony has reached around the world and lives have been touched.  And I don't think that is coming to an end any time soon.  Her legacy lives on in our hearts and her family's hearts.

Please continue to pray for the family.  Its going to be a tough week for them all.  Teresa and her dad are flying out early tomorrow morning.  Teresa's dad has some health issues, so please pray that he stays healthy all through this trip.  Pray for Jon as he now is the only parent to these children.  Pray for the children.  God allowed them all to go see her and say goodbye yesterday.  But please pray for them as they now must go on without her.  It just breaks my heart.  Pray that they will see God's goodness in all of this. Pray for the funeral service.  There is going to be a service there in Colorado, as well as a memorial service in South Carolina.  Pray that lives would be touched and souls saved through this.  I know she had her service all planned out and that it will certainly bring glory to God.

I am so thankful for the privilege of having known Amy.  And I pray that when I am gone one day, I will have a legacy to leave like she has left.

Until next time...

No comments: