Friday, October 7, 2011

Somewhat Normal

Its been a nice, somewhat normal week, although I don't think we ever have a "normal" week.  I don't even know what normal is!  But it was a LOT less hectic.  Since Matt finished up the outside of the house, he has taken a break from home renos, which is great.  I don't mind that there is some stuff (like all the window sills and trims) not done.  Its been nice having Daddy home and inside a lot more than he had been the last month or more.  The kids are enjoying it, too.  Leila especially seems to be extra cuddly with Daddy, which he is soaking up!

Matt did have to take a day trip on Wednesday to attend the funeral of the father of a man Matt has been counseling and recently led to the Lord.  So he was gone all day Wednesday.  As for the rest of us, we have been hanging out at home for the most part.  The weather has been quite cool - cold, really, and it is VERY windy, so staying in is preferable.  But I don't mind it too much.  I've been enjoying plenty of Christmas music, as have the kids.  Although their two favorites are Frosty the Snowman and Jingle Bells, so we listen to those about 10 times a day - each!

Liam's doing well in school.  Oh, we have the occasional day where he has more trouble concentrating, but who doesn't?  He is loving learning all this new stuff and gets so excited about the next day.  Actually, we have been doing school on Saturdays, too (aren't I a horrible mom!).  But he actually wants to and I don't mind one bit.  I know that we will miss some school whenever the baby is born, so staying on top of it now is a good idea.

Tonight we went out to eat for supper, and on the way home we were all singing all types of songs.  Liam wanted to sing the ABCs so we did.  Then he asked Matt if he Matt knew how to say them backwards. Matt said he didn't think he could do it very easily, so Liam said that he could.  And then he started it up.  The first time he did miss J and L, but then he tried it again and said it perfectly - and just as fast as he says them the right way!  I was shocked as I had not taught him that, and have no idea where he learned that!  But makes me proud!  Just a further reminder as to how wonderful these young minds are and how easily they can be taught!

Leila is our busy little bee, as always.  She is a great helper when I am cleaning up, and loves to read and has finally started to show a real interest in coloring.  She hasn't seemed to interested before, but now asks to color all the time.  I love it!  Recently we had been going through a very rough time with her at bedtime.  My kids have always gone to bed well and I have never dreaded bedtime, for which I am thankful.  But sometime in July she started this whole screaming and crying for an hour or more at bedtime.  It was so frustrating!  Nothing seemed to be working - we tried different means of discipline and such.  But one day it dawned on me that perhaps she was afraid of the dark.  So we bought her this uber cute night light and beginning that first night with the light, we have had no problems!  Duh, Mommy!  The poor girl must have been afraid!  Took me long enough to figure it out!  So now we are back to happy bedtime routines!

Libby is little Miss Mischievous!  She is into everything!  She is so much busier at this age than the other two ever were!  Keeps me on my toes for sure!  Since I am not supposed to lift her, we are debating about changing the crib into a toddler bed (yes, we have one of those fancy shmancy cribs that converts - although we have never converted it because we always needed it for the next kid!).  That way if Matt is not home I can still put her to bed without having to pick her up.  But I don't know that I am ready for her to have that freedom yet!  With Liam and Leila, we went straight from the crib to a regular twin bed (I'm sorry, but I just don't see the sense in spending money on a toddler bed!), and they each did well.  In fact, to this day, Leila STILL does not get out of bed until we come and get her!  Strange but nice!

Anyways, I don't think Libby will stay in her bed.  She loves climbing up and down on things, so I think it would be too much freedom right now.  But we shall see.  I have my dr. appt on Tuesday with the OB, and we should know more then about what is going on with me and the baby, so we will decide then depending on if I am put officially on any restrictions.

This coming Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving, so we are having a big celebration at church on Sunday.  We have sort of a Praise service, then the Lord's Supper, then a potluck turkey dinner.  It should be great!  The church provides the turkeys, one of which Matt and I are cooking.  It is a 27lb tukey and let me tell you - it is HUGE!  I had to clear a whole shelf in my fridge for it!  Tomorrow it is going to enjoy a nice water bath so it will be all defrosted in time to cook it!  We have never cooked one that big, so we sure hope it turns out okay!  Don't want to let the church people down!  Fortunately, another girl in our church is a cooking one too (although a little smaller - like 17lbs) so if we royally mess up on this one, at least we know there will be some turkey there!

Well, I am off to bed!  Have a wonderful Saturday and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!  Check back on Monday as I plan to post a "special" Thanksgiving post along with a book review.  Ooooo....the suspense! :-)

Until next time...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Your situation with Leila is much like we had a few months back with Josiah. Night lights work wonders :) Happy Thanksgiving :) At least you can satisfy that hankerin' for turkey since Mexican food is hard to come by. Want me to fed Ex you some Taco Bell? :) You know.....it wouldn't be terribly hard to put a package together for you....one with Mexican food ingredients..... let me know what you think!