Anyways, I suppose the purpose of my telling you this story is that, well, I'm not totally sure! Ha! I guess I have just been thinking about this lately, since it is Christmas time and all. What really made me think about it was a conversation I overheard yesterday at the bank. I was taking care of a deposit for my job that I do for my father-in-law when a man walked in and went to the teller next to me. Now, let me just put in a little side note here: one thing that I really like about small town living is that places you frequent such as the bank you are known on a first name basis. I just walk into our bank and the ladies greet me with a "Hi, Emily" and ask about how the kids are and how the house renos are coming, etc. If it is Matt in there they often ask how I am doing and how the pregnancy is going. This is not just at the bank - but grocery stores, etc. I really like that!
Okay, so back to my story. The man walked in and started talking to his teller, asking about her kids and such. Then he mentioned that he noticed she had not put lights up on her house yet. She said, "Ya, I haven't gotten around to it yet and Jerry is too busy to put them up." The man then said, "Yes, I was talking to Jerry and he said you had been in a bad mood lately." (isn't that great for a husband to say to someone about his wife!!) She quickly came back with, "I'm not in a bad mood, I just haven't felt very Christmasy lately."
By this time I was done with my transactions and said good-bye and left. But for some reason, that comment has stuck with me. What exactly does it mean to "feel Christmasy." If any of you know me, you know that I absolutely LOVE Christmas time. I love the lights, the decor, the smells, the treats, the songs, the movies. But I mostly love the meaning. I mean, the highly overused catch phrase "Jesus is the reason for the season" can get a little annoying, but its true. Its this time of year that we celebrate our precious Saviour's birth. That sure makes me "feel Christmasy."
But that's just me. What about others? What makes them feel like celebrating? Is it a tradition with friends and/or family? Is it a trip? Is it the time spent with family? Is it the gifts - getting and/or receiving? Is it Santa? What is it?
I suppose I think about this a lot because we are in the midst of raising our children, and striving to do our best to teach them about what Christmas is really about. Now, we have personally made the decision to not let our children believe in Santa. We have come to this decision with three basic reasons.
1. I never believed in Santa. I always knew that he was a made-up thing that people talk about every Christmas. I used to laugh to myself when my sweet Grandma would give us a gift from her and Grandpa and then another one from "Santa." I thought it was cute - but I never believed in Santa. And honestly, I don't feel that I was cheated in any way out of some childhood thrill or excitement. I don't feel like I was short changed in any way.
2. Some may disagree with me on this, but I think telling our children about Santa and how he comes each Christmas Eve to give us our presents is lying to our children. Say what you may, but it isn't true, so that makes it a lie. Why in the world would we spend all this time training our children to be honest, tell the truth always, and then turn around and tell them this made up story? What happens when they find out he isn't real? Some kids may take it fine, but some may then begin to question other things their parents have always told them. Is the Bible really true? Is Jesus real? I know, I have had people tell me that is taking it a little too far, but I don't want to "take my chances" so to speak. And I certainly don't want to lie to my kids!
- Again, I wanted to make a side note here, too. The other day I saw a picture of two kids sitting on Santa's lap. The kids faces were red from screaming and they were both holding out their hands reaching for their mom or dad because they were terrified of this person in whose lap they were sitting. I told Matt that I just don't get it. Why in the world would a parent stand in line in a busy store or mall, with their kids getting impatient just waiting, all so they can sit in a strange man's lap, possibly tell him what they wanted for Christmas if they aren't screaming and crying, then an "elf" attempt to take a picture of said screaming children and strange man and be charged $10 or more for that "precious" memory? I just don't get it!
3. Finally, we don't tell our children that Santa is real because we want them to know that those gifts under the tree were bought and paid for with Mommy and Daddy's hard earned money, as well as Grammy and Papa and Grampy and Nana's money, etc. I want my children to learn to appreciate the gifts and to not take them for granted. Yes, they don't totally get it now, but I believe they will.
You can disagree with me if you want, but that is what Matt and I have decided for our family. And I will not look down on anyone who does let their children believe in Santa. I don't think we are better or more spiritual than them in any way shape or form. I am just explaining why we have come to this decision for our family.
Its actually kinda funny. I mean, our kids know that Santa "exists" in that you see him everywhere. And now, everywhere we go people are always asking them what they asked Santa for and if they are excited for Santa to come to their house. Usually they just stare at the person with almost a blank look on their face, then tell the person our presents are already under the tree. Then Matt or I usually step in and explain that the kids don't believe in Santa. Oh, some of the looks we get are priceless! But I just say, "We want our kids to know that we work hard for their gifts." People usually seem to get it then.
So, anyways, back to my original thought. What makes people feel Christmasy? When someone says they aren't in the Christmas spirit, it makes me wonder what exactly could be going on in their life that would have them say that. Is there a tough thing they are going through? Is it health, financial, family issues? Are they lonely? Depressed? It reminds me that this time, and actually all times throughout the year we need to be on the lookout for people who need encouragement. We need to not be so focused on ourselves that we fail to see the needs of others. Christmas is a time when people typically are spending time with family. Perhaps there is someone you know who has no family, or is not close to family (either in location or emotionally). Christmas is a time when we buy gifts for each other. Perhaps there is a person who has no money to give anything, or is not receiving any gifts. Christmas is a time when we as Christians focus on the miraculous virgin birth of our Saviour, and rejoice in the hope that we will spend eternity in perfect fellowship with God Himself. Perhaps there is a person you know who does not have that hope - maybe has never been told of that hope.
Let's spend this Christmas season trying to focus on others. Let's find out the reason why that person whom we may sing about being a Crabby Appleton is not feeling very Christmasy. Then, let's try to help them and encourage them in whatever way we can. Ya, that sounds like a much better idea to me than telling a strange man in a red suit that I want a new red hoodie for Christmas.
Until next time...
2 comments:
Great minds think alike :)
Hahahaha! This made me laugh so much, because try as we might, (Eldan especially,) Evelyn is convinced Santa is real and coming to our house on Christmas! She seems to think he will spend the day with us and bring more presents. We have all told her otherwise, but Evelyn marches to the beat of her own drum! I don't even know where she got all the ideas:) our Chiropractors office had Santa there yesterday and Evelyn begged to sit on his lap and talk to him. She wanted to know which car was his! Eldan kept saying," Evie its just a man dressed up like Santa!"
Post a Comment