Thursday, September 27, 2012

The One-handed Monster

Okay!  Here is my first attempt at typing a WHOLE post with one hand.  My left hand at that.  Lets see how it goes.  If my post just suddenly ends abruptly (yes, I know that was a bit redundant using "suddenly" and "abruptly" but frankly, I don't care!) then you will know I got tired and gave up!

Anywho, here we go.  Lets go back to when Matt left for out west. It was a looooooong four days with just me and the kids.  We did school.  We ate food.  We played.  Libby covered her arms, face, stomach, and legs, with coloured dry erase marker.  Libby put all of Mr. Potato Head's face parts in the toilet - after she peed in it but before she flushed it.  I got to stick my hand in toilet to retrieve said toys.  Libby got a hold of my phone and decided to dial while I was in the shower.  She brought it to me and I saw it was calling someone so I hung up fast, afraid she had called China or something.  The phone immediately rang, I answered and the person on the other line said, "911 emergency, is everything okay?" So I got to explain that we were fine and it was just my two year old playing with my cell.  The next day she got my phone again and called my sister in New Hampshire.  I am having to remember to keep it locked now.

Sunday my parents arrived.  We were so happy to see them! I was happy to have more help keeping an eye on Libby!  Then, Monday, Matt came home!  He had a great time at the church out there.   More on that later!

We had a nice day on Tuesday and then Wednesday we got up bright and early to drive two hours to the hospital where I was to check in for surgery at 8:45 a.m.  I went to the day surgery department and got all ready.  My parents came a few hours later and arrived just in time to say hi before I was taken back into surgery.  A little after 11:30 I was rolled into the operating room.  I chatted with the nurses and students that were in there.  I climbed over onto the operating table, laid down, looked up at those big lights.  The last thing I remember was saying a quick prayer that they would be able to take out the whole tumour, and prayed for my kids.  Then the anesthesiologist said, "here comes the sleepy stuff!" And I was out.

Next thing I know, I'm waking up in recovery.  I'm vaguely aware that my I can't move my arm.  The dr. Is standing right next to me.  I ask what time it is.  It's shortly after 2p.m.  Then I ask how it went. The dr. says it went great, they got the whole tumour!  Praise God.  Then I asked how big it was.  It was the size of a baseball!  Wow!  It was just about this time that he saw I was bleeding pretty heavily from the incision area.  So he immediately grabbed on to my shoulder and held it tight.  Let me tell you - that hurt!!!  He was trying to compress it to stop the bleeding.  He called over the third year student who is assisting him and she held on to stop it.  I tried chatting with her some to get my mind off the pain, but that was hard.  I'm pretty sure every fourth word was "Ow!".  But after almost an hour, it wasn't stopping so they decided to take me back in operating room to go back in to find the source of the bleeding.  I was in much pain at that point, but glad they were gonna figure out what was wrong.

When I was wheeled back in, the dr said, "Well, the decor hasn't changed much since last time."  I smiled and said, "Ya, I'm having major dejavue right now!"  I remember on of the male nurses laughing a bit at that, then on came my "sleepy stuff" and I was out again.  Next thing I know, I'm waking up to a nurse calling my name, asking me how I feel.  I'm in a lot more pain now.  I ask what time it is.  It's now after 5 p.m.  I was back in surgery for a little under 2 hours.  So, lucky me got to technically have 2 surgeries in one day!  They were able to take care of the bleeding.  I will spare you the details of where it was coming from.  But the dr. said in his 26 years of being a surgeon, he'd never had that particular thing happen before. Yup, that's me.  I do things out of the ordinary all the time!

Because of the bleeding, I had to stay two nights in the hospital.  But Friday afternoon I came home.  I had missed my kiddos.  The first few days were hard.  I was so sore.  But it's getting better.  I'm mainly just uncomfortable now.  Its hard not being able to move my arm.  Its literally tied to my waist right now and has been since surgery.  I will be like this until Tuesday when I see him again and I will get a new sling.  The reason for my current sling is because he had to cut through and pull back part of my pectoral muscle to get to the tumour (yuck, right?).  So he wants that to be immobile for two weeks to have time to heal.  And I can't get it wet.  Which means I can't take a shower.  This, my friends, is pure torture for me.  Tuesday can't come soon enough.  We will just leave it at that!;-)

Its been very nice having my mom here to help Matt out.  I'm pretty much useless with most things.  I am getting better at putting my own socks on with one hand, though! ;-)

There's lots more going on,  but I will leave it at this.  It looks like God is still leading us to the church out west, we may have an offer on the house in the next few days, and a move in the very near future.  Its busy times, but exciting to see God working and providing for us.  He is so good!

Thank you to all who prayed for me.  We ask for you to continue to pray as we continue in this time in our lives.

Until next time.....

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, quite an adventure! Hope the healing goes quickly and the shower is everything you hope for. ;) Maybe your mom can wash your hair while you wait. I always feel so relaxed when someone else washes my hair, ha ha! You're going to LOVE Alberta!! I'm almost jealous, but not of the cold. ;)