Anyways, I just had to let you all know because we are SO happy that is taken care of. It has taken many, many months or going back and forth with paperwork, legal documents, mucho mula, and quite a bit of frustration. Through this whole process I have learned a few things that I will pass on to you in case you are ever in such a situation.
First, keep very acurate records of all your dealings with the government/or whomever you are dealing with in your situation. I mean record EVERYTHING!!! Write down the names of the people you talk to, at what time you talk to them, the date you talk to them, and what they said. It comes in quite handy to say, "Well, I talked with Nancy on Wed. October 3rd, and she told me...." That lets them know that you are not someone they can send on a wild goose chase.
Second, keep copies of everything you send them, whether it be snail mail or email or fax or whatever. Also record when it was sent and in which fashion. Don't be surprised if it gets "lost in the mail" and you have to resend it. Maybe even resend it two or three times!!!
Third, do your best to always talk to as high up in rank as you can. Often, the call centre people really don't know much except what is on the flipchart in front of them. It is not beyond them to make up what they "think sounds right." It usually is not even close to the actuall truth.
And Fourth, if you are dealing with the government, know that they make things hard - just because they can. Who can tell them to "stop picking on the little people?" NO ONE!!! And don't think it is just the Canadian government. The American side does the same stuff, jus because they can!
Now, I hope I don't sound cynical or upset in this, because I really am not. The Lord really used this whole process to teach us patience and trust. But, I am so glad it is over. I just thought I would write down my "words of wisdom" so others can learn what we have learned. Now, we just have to get Liam's citizenshp papers, and we are good to go! Because he was born in the USA, and has and American mom and Canadian dad, he is a dual citizen. BUT, we are waiting for the government to send us the official document stating so. The process for that is similar as what I had to do, but is taking longer. Please pray this gets resolved this coming week, as we need to get that document in order to get Liam's passport, so he can come with us to my sister's wedding! (By the way, as of June 1st, the US will begin requiring everyone to have a passport to cross the border.)
Well, I am off to bed. I hope you all have wonderful night and all the moms have a great mother's day. I already got my present from my kids, which I will tell you all about at another time.
Oh, and congrats to my brother, Jeremy and his wife, Jenni! They were blessed with their fourth child, Colette Anae Doan at 12:15 p.m. today. What a wonderful Mother's Day gift!!
1 comment:
YAY for you :) We are going to be dealing with this in France & we are already getting advice now about the process over there. Basically, be prepared for a long lasting headache :) Oh well. Congrats on becoming an Aunt again!!
Post a Comment