Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ouch!!!!

So, as most of you know, I had my plastic surgery to remove the lumps off my face and chest/arm on Thursday.  We got up bright and early to drive the 45 mins to Fredricton and went to the hospital and I got all checked in, got my pretty little bracelet with all the info on it, and headed to the 4th floor.  We had to wait about20 mins, but that was because we were early (Matt is always early to everything!!).  Matt couldn't go in the room with me, so when my name was called I had to go all by myself! *sniff, sniff*.  Well, the nurse asked me a few basic questions, then I got changed into the LOVELY hospital clothing, and sat on the bed waiting for the doctor.  

While I was sitting there, waiting, I suddenly heard in the room next to me a woman yell out and the begin sobbing uncontrollably.  She was saying over and over, "Oh, no! Oh, no!" And, "oh my ___!"  Then I head the doctor trying to console her and telling her what the next step was going to be.  I am not sure what news she received, but knew it probably wasn't good.  So I just sat there and prayed for her.  You know, it reminded me of the song, "People Need the Lord."  So many people go through terrible trials each and every day, and they are unbearable without the strength of the Lord.  I am so thankful that I know the Lord, otherwise I don't know how I would have gotten through all the things the Lord has allowed into my life.  

Well, after the doctor was done with her, he came in to my room.  The only part that I was nervous about was when he was going to "freeze" or numb the skin/muscle.  I think I told you all how the one on my face (right by my ear) was very tender and the slightest little bump or tap would bring incredible pain.  So I was nervous of the needle going in that area and it hurting.  I knew after the local anesthesia was applied, I would not feel anything, it was just that first part I would feel.  

I also pictured it being like how it is at the dentist when they numb you - they calmly stick you one time with a needle and insert the numbing "stuff."  Let me inform you that is NOT how they do it!  Before he did it, he said, "This is the part you are gonna hate.  You are gonna feel a lot of pinching and burning."  Then, he proceeded to stab the side of my face over and over and over, with the liquid stuff going all over and burning my skin inside and out.  It felt like someone poured steaming hot water on my face, then took a pin and started pricking me a million times!  Wow, did that hurt!  Then, when that was over, we had to go through it again on the other lump!  Thankfully, that one did not hurt as much!
n
So, now I am all numb, and and chatting with the nurse while the dr. begins working when he suddenly says, "Oh, wow." (Not usually something you want to hear in a situation like this!)  "What?"  I ask.  "This one is deceptively large and deep!  I didn't expect that.  You are probably going to feel some pain."  Uh - what?  That's not what I signed up for!  And then it hit - the "pain."  Pain isn't even a fair word for it.  I don't know how to describe how it felt, let it suffice to say that it HURT!!!!  He was pulling and cutting and tugging (am I grossing anyone out yet? :-)  ) And I was not crying or yelling, but saying, "Ahh!  Ow!  Ouch!  Ahh!"  The nurse grabbed my hand and I squeezed it really hard.  Hehe - it reminded me of how hard I squeeze Matt's hand when I am in labor and am having a contraction.

Anyways, this seemed to take forever, but maybe was only five minutes.  Then, he gave me a short break before starting the other one.  He explained that the reason that hurt so much was because he didn't know the lump was that deep, so he hadn't numbed that deep.  Fair enough.  I wasn't mad at him, just glad that it was over.  

A funny thing my body does in reaction to stress like that is my left leg shakes uncontrollably.  It was funny because I was trying to stop it, but couldn't, and the nurses were laughing at me!  I could not stop it though!

So now it was time for the next lump.  This lump was on my chest, almost over in my armpit.  He knew this one was deep, so he had numbed deep enough so this one did not hurt at all! Praise the Lord for that!  The only problem with this one was that it was deeply hidden in my pectoral muscle.  So he had to basically "dig" through my muscle to find it.  It took him a good five minutes to find it or more!  As he was "digging" I asked him, "Is this going to make my arm really sore?"  He nicely answered, "I would think so!  You probably won't be able to pick up your kids for a day or two."

So, he got both lumps out, both considerable larger than we thought they would be.  They both are the same kind of lump, so that is  good (I guess).  He wasn't really concerned about them, but was sending them off to the lab to get an official diagnosis.  I asked to see them, always very curious about that kind of stuff.  I don't want to gross anyone out, so if you really want me to tell you what they looked like, ask and I will tell.  But not on here!

After that we were all done and Matt and I left.  We ran a few errands and had a nice lunch together at a "fancy" sit-down restaurant (don't have those in our town so this was a special treat!).  But by the middle of lunch, I was super sore and could barely move my arm. 
But, all is well and I am feeling fine now.  My face is still a tad bit swollen and throbs just a little, but I am able to pick Leila up today without any pain.  Liam is quite fascinated with the fact that "Mommy has a hurt." He keeps asking to see my bandage on my face (which is a small piece of medical tape).

I go back to see the dr. on the 10th, when he will take my stitches out and give me the report from that lab.  I have to tell you I am SO glad to have these lumps gone!

So there is my report from my surgery for those who care.  I am sure it was more than you really wanted to know, but hey - you know me.  I am a wordy kind of girl!
I hope you all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Matthew & Sheila said...

i am so glad that it all went well, i love reading your posts!