Monday, April 5, 2010

Then They Do

So, my days lately are filled to capacity with cleaning, feeding, reprimanding, correcting, feeding, cleaning, cooking, reprimanding, feeding... you get the picture. As I have said before, some days I am SO tired and so frustrated with whining and fighting and disobedience. Some days I wish I could just go to some place QUIET and just sit and not think about all I have to do. I wish I could NOT be asked a million questions a day like, "What are you doing?" or "What's that?" or "Why, Mommy?" Sometimes I wish I didn't have to constantly deal with defiance or bad attitudes or messes and whining. Sometimes, I just wish I could be all by myself - even just for a little while. Sometimes I would love to take a shower without kids either banging on the door calling my name, or barging in asking if they can have something... Some days, I think I can't handle any more of - anything.

I know I am not alone in this. From all the blogs I read, and other mommys I talk to, I know that we all feel this way. This past week, a friend of mine had her status on Facebook saying something similar to what I just wrote - about being frustrated and such. I found myself writing her a reply to that status, trying to encourage her, reminding her that this frustration won't be forever. But as I was doing that, I realized that I was feeling the same way. Some days you feel like all you deal with is tears, messes (including toys, food, and poop!), and discipline. And you get tired and it is hard to see the bigger picture.

After I posted my response to her status, I noticed that another person had written a response as well to it, referencing a song by Trace Adkins, "Your Gonna Miss This." I had not heard the song, so I went to YouTube and listened to it. Now, I know that this is not a Christian song with a message necessarily from the Bible, but the Lord used it to remind me of something very important. He used this song to remind me to treasure these moments now - because, before I know it, I am going to be waking up in the morning to a quiet house, with not much to do. I won't have oatmeal to clean up off of the floor. I won't have TONS of laundry to do. I won't have sticky hand prints to wipe off the walls. I won't have my name being called to come kiss a "hurt" better. One day I am gonna wake up and I am "gonna miss" this, as the song says.

So I have been trying to consciously make it more of a point (I already had been to a degree) to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak. I want to completely and thoroughly enjoy my children while I can. I am seeing all to clearly how fast children grow up. My little Liam is about to start K-4. My sweet Leila is talking up a storm and discovering the world. My precious Libby changes and grows every stinkin' day - getting bigger and more aware of the world around her.

After I had listened to that song, I was looking around at some other songs that were listed off to the right of the screen (I will admit that I am sorta becoming a fan of SOME country music - not all - but some! ;-) ) Then I came across another song that just brought tears to my eyes. It's titled "Then They Do" and is about kids growing up. Before I clicked on it, Liam came to me, and said, "Mommy, will you come play trains with me?" I told him, "Yes. You go get started, and Mommy will be right there. I just want to listen to this one song." So off he trotted to his room. But just as I was starting the song, he called from his room, "Mommy, are you coming?" "Yes, just a second!" I answered, and continued to listen to the song. Just about 30 seconds later, he called again, "Mommy, will you come play trains with me?" "Yes, Liam, I just want to finish - " And then I stopped, mid sentence. Here I am, crying through a song about how fast kids grow up, and I am not seizing this very moment to spend one-on-one time with my sweet little boy who just wants to play trains with his mommy. I immediately stopped the song and went and played trains. I could listen to the song later.

When I am older, and my kids are gone, I don't want to sit around, thinking of all the moments I missed just being with my kids because I was too focused on something else. I don't want to look back with regret at the fact that I had spent more time cleaning or doing something than spending it with my kids. House work will always be there. But my kids won't.

Don't get me wrong. I will still have to clean and cook and correct, etc. But I don't want my work to get in the way of my relationship with my kids. I want to enjoy every possible moment I can with my children. I don't want to always be frustrated that I forget the special times. I don't want to wish the time away, always looking forward to when they can do this or that, or be bigger or older. I don't want to wish for them to grow up. Because they do.

So that is a little of what the Lord is reminding me of lately, and I encourage you, too. Stop and enjoy each day. Enjoy the little moments. If you are like me and right smack in the middle of raising young ones - enjoy it. If you are older and your children are grown - enjoy the time you do have with them anytime you are together. If you are not married yet, then enjoy the "freedom" of being single and not having the responsibility of all that a family brings. If you are married and have no children yet, enjoy the time with your spouse. Once children are in the picture, the dynamics of your marriage change - not necessarily in a bad way - they just change - it isn't just you two anymore.

I guess what I am saying is this. God has placed each one of us exactly where he wants us, in exactly the stage of life He wants us in. So instead of always looking to other things, or getting bogged down in the "details" of life, enjoy the sweet times He gives us. Rejoice in the fact that "This is the day that the Lord hath made..."

So now I encourage you - stop reading my blog, get off the computer - and go enjoy your loved ones! :-)

Until next time....

p.s. I don't want to post the video of the song, "Then They Do" on my blog, but here is the YouTube link to it if you want to listen to it. But I must warn you - It MIGHT make you tear up. So if you are prone to be greatly affected by music, then listen to it at your own discretion! :-)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

It's good to know that we're never alone in our particular "boat" at any given moment. That's why we can encourage each other. It's an up and down ride being parents of little ones... probably big ones too! Some days are just wonderful and even in the correcting moments your patience is full. Then there are days where you wish you could just go back to bed and start over. :-) Thanks for posting, and encouraging me and others in our journeys through parenting! :-)

Rachel said...

Oh and another thing I've been working on lately is to just prioritize better and let things that really don't matter as much go. Not go in the sense of letting the house fall apart and all that, but trying to be more of a "yes" mommy instead of "no-no" all the time. If that makes any sense. :-)

Matt and Emily Sealy said...

Yes, Rachel. You make total sense. That is what I have been working on as well. I am reminding myself that the dishes will stay there until I get to them - even if it is after the kids go to bed. But reading a story or dancing to silly music won't always wait - so I am trying to put my children first in that respect. Thanks for the comments. You are more of an encouragement to me than you may ever know. I love reading your blog and laugh at how similar of situations we experience with our kids!

Anonymous said...

Emily, what you are talking about is the different cycles of life. Each one is a challenge in itself....believe me! I personally believe that the "empty nest" time is by far the hardest...but I am sure that you do not see it yet - I did not when I was in your spot!! Just remember to stay close to the Lord and always remember that you are molding lives to love and serve the Lord. What a privilege and a blessing.
Stay focused, positive, and yes, it will not last forever. Raise happy children that want to serve the Lord - that will be your reward! You are doing a great job! I love you...MOM

Wendy said...

I have always said I never want to be a mom that says "I wish I had...." once my kids are older. Depending on the Lord certainly helps get through those *tougher* days but then when I see my kids starting to *get it* all that consistency really is paying off! I do not wish the time with my little ones away, I wish it would slow down even! It is such a joy to experience life through their eyes :) I'm sure you are a great mom because you love the Lord and keep Him first and depend on Him every step of the way. That in and of itself is a step towards successful parenting.
Chad enjoys finding songs like these because he knows they make me cry :) Have you heard the song "One little Heartbeat at a Time"? It is by Steven Curtis Chapman, a must listen to song :)