Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hi Ho!

Man, I am getting really bad at blogging!  I mean, I have all these posts going through my head, but actually getting around to writing it out is another story.  But, here I am - so never fear!

We just got home from youth group.  I started going back each week - I had stopped last year when I was great with child and too exhausted to go each week. But now I am back to "normal" and going again.  I love it for several reasons.  One, is I LOVE ministering with my hubby.  I love to be with him (yes - I like to be around him all the time ... even though it is good to do things separately sometimes!), and I love to serve the Lord next to him.  I'm pretty sure he like it too!  Second, it is nice to have a little change of scenery in the week.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my kids more than I can express in words.  And I love being around him.  But sometimes it is nice to just go and sit and talk and play games and such and not have to worry about the kids - where they are, what they are doing, etc.  So it is a nice break from my day. And finally, I like to go because I really have a heart for young girls.  I so desire to see them learn of God's love and to do what is right.  Which brings me to a "revelation" I had on Sunday.

When we first moved here, there was virtually no children in the church.  But, through prayer, VBS weeks each summer, and visitation, we have built up a small group of kids that attend our weekly Kids Alive program on Thursdays after school, and to Sunday school.  We have about 20 in the weekly program, and about 10 that come to Sunday school.  It is so great to see kids coming to church, most of whom come with people in our church because their parents don't come.

Anyways, we have several ladies that teach Sunday school and children's church.  I used to do it, but when I was expecting Libby we had several ladies step up and take charge of it.  I was so glad because that was adding a lot on me to try to get organized and set up and prepared for, all on top of getting my family ready for church, etc.  But, I still enjoyed teaching the kids.  I always have.  And I always have assumed that was my calling - to teach children.

Well, this past Sunday our regular children's church teacher was going to be out of town, so I filled in for  her.  It was the first time I had in quite some time. And it was in the middle of teaching that I came to the realization that I don't completely enjoy that anymore.  I know, that sounds horrible, but I just was not completely loving being the teacher of these kids.  It was then that my revelation came to me.

Without meaning to sound proud or anything, I do believe that the Lord has given me the gift of teaching and speaking in public.  It does not terrify me to speak in front of people - in fact, I rather enjoy it.  But I now am seeing that my heart is more for teaching teens and women.  I absolutely LOVE our ladies Bible studies that we have.  I am learning so much in my personal life just in preparation for them.  I LOVE sharing what I have learned, what God has taught me.   I love sharing with the teen girls some of my personal experiences, and sharing how much God loves them.  I love encouraging them to live right, to keep their purity, etc.  I just love it.  That is where my heart is.

So, it doesn't mean that I will never teach children again.  I can do it, and I will.  But I feel that my true desire is to young women, to young mothers, etc.  Which brings me to a request I would ask you all to pray for.  Matt and I, along with his parents, have been asked to come to a church in Athens, Maine, the weekend of November 12-14 to speak.  It is a weekend thing with several chances to speak - specifically on the biblical perspective of manhood and womanhood.  Matt will be speaking 2-3 times, I will be speaking to the ladies on Sunday morning, and they want to have a question and answer panel on Sunday night.  We are in the midst of preparing for this.  I am studying, reading, and praying what the Lord would have me to share.  I am not certain just yet of the specific route I will take.  The pastor has mentioned that they have had a lot of struggles lately with the younger couples and the roles of the women in the home, the role of the wife and mother.

When first presented with this opportunity, I was not all for it.  I mean, I have only been a wife for 5 years, and a mother for 4.  Who am I to tell them what it is to be a wife and mother?  I am still learning it all myself!  But, the Lord reminded me that it is not me or what I say, but Him and what He says.  So I ask that you would pray for clear direction in what route I should take, what I should say and what I should not say (just as important, you know!).  I am excited about this opportunity, but not sure what to expect.  This is my first real speaking engagement outside of college and our little church here! Please pray for Matt and his parents as well.  We really want to have a great, God-honoring weekend and to leave with the church having learned more and having a more clear understanding of what God says about the roles of men and women.  Actually, I am going to involve YOU, my dear readers, in a little panel/poll to help me.  But that will be on here in a day or two.  Be sure to check back and please answer! ;-)

Now, on to our family!  We are doing well.  As of now, everyone is good - no sickness.  The kids are active as ever.  Leila is going through a fun phase of coloring on everything BUT paper - the wall, the dining room chairs, the sliding door window to our back porch...  Its been interesting to see all the new things she is finding to decorate!   Libby still has not cut her teeth yet.  What in the world?  I know they are bothering her, but the poor thing still has no teeth!  I can't wait until they get through!  Liam is still loving school and wants to have school all the time.  I am just loving seeing him learn and grow.  He is really showing a lot more interest in God, Jesus, the cross, and the Bible.  I am loving seeing that, too!  I am doing okay.  My back is not bothering me too much lately, which is good.  Still no word from the dr, so we are still working on our patience!  Matt is very busy, as usual, and our Christmas vacation is starting to sound really, really good right now!

Last night, after the kids were in bed, I broke down and got out some of my winter decorations (they are winter - not Christmas! ;-) ).  I love to decorate in snowmen, so I have some that I put out around the house.  Well, let me tell you, they were SO excited this morning when they got up and saw them!  They went on and on talking about it!  I love to see their excitement in even the little stuff like that!

Well, I am gonna sign off for now.  I trust all is well with you!  Have a wonderful night, all!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I so understand this post. You were speaking my own heart :) I am REALLY enjoying our study with the teens on Biblical masculinity and femininity. We divide up every Wed. and Chad takes the guys and I teach the girls and I can't even tell you how big of a burden I have to see these kids live for God and not mess up their lives! They are chalk full of potential!
I also love teaching my ladies Bible study and am learning so much! It is interesting as well to see how the study we are doing in I Peter totally is correlating with my teaching on Wed. nights as well!
What a great opportunity to go to Maine and teach great truths to these couples!