Have you ever had one of those days, where you had all sorts of plans to get a super huge list of "stuff" done, and NONE of it gets done? That pretty much describes my day. I guess it really started last night. Or yesterday, really. You see, yesterday was a WONDERFUL day in mommy-hood. We actually had a day when ALL three of my kids we angels. Seriously. They were so good. I loved it. They got along. I loved it. They played well together and did not make a huge mess of the entire household. They ate their suppers without any trouble (we seem to be going through a "I know I like that last week but hate it this week" phase with the eldest two.) And I was able to get a lot done.
One of the main things on my list for yesterday was to begin tackling a MAJOR project in our house - organizing our basement. You see, the basement is sort of a catch-all for everything and anything that I am not sure what I want to do with or where to put. And it is a mess. Don't believe me? Believe it. I can't believe I am going to do this, but I actually took pictures to prove to you that it is TERRIBLE! And I am going to post them on here. Oh, how embarrassing! I am sort of a "neat freak" I guess you can say. "A place for everything and everything in its place" is the motto I live by. But, as anyone with young children can attest to, that is uber (I keep reading this word in everyone's blogs so I thought I would join in and use it, too. Now I feel cool!) difficult. But, nobody really goes in our basement, so it is my nasty little secret that I have kept bottled up for so long!
 |
| Even stuff in the hallway! |
But I cannot hide it any longer. It has been bothering me since, well, since we moved here and I placed all the stuff there! We have lived in this house for a year and a half, and it has only gotten worse! I have kids clothes that I had started putting in containers by size, at least for the girls, but have sort of fallen off the bandwagon with that. I really need to get it all under control! And as I started looking at some of the stuff in there, I became a little ashamed at all the "things" I have that I never, ever, ever use. How wasteful of me! There could be some people out there who are looking for just that exact thing, and I have it piled under all kinds of stuff in my basement! Oh, and have you ever seen that show
Hoarders? Ya, that is definitely not where I want to be headed!

So yesterday was the day I was going to start it! I am going by the so-called rule that "if you haven't used it in the last 6 months, you don't need it." Well, unless it is seasonal like Christmas decor. Anyways, as I have been thinking about this project for some time, I decided that I needed a yard sale. So, I am getting things organized for that too. I plan to have a yard sale this spring/summer sometime. And boy, do I have a lot of stuff to go into it!
 |
| What a mess! |
I have all kinds of cookware, crystal bowls, mugs, kitchen stuff, etc. that I have NEVER used. For some reason, I have a lot of stuff given to me. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate it - but some stuff has been sitting there since Matt and I were married and I am thinking that if I have not used it thus far, I probably won't. Another thing that I have a lot of is nice clothing of mine that just doesn't fit anymore. Yes, I am admitting that some of my "pre-kid" clothes do not fit nor will they ever fit me again. Stuff has just changed and that ain't going to happen, no matter what I do. So, I have all that to get rid of. I have kid's stuff, too, that I am not using anymore, so I am gonna try to sell it.
And that is what I spent a lot of yesterday doing. And I got one whole room organized and separated out into yard sale stuff, stored stuff, and stuff to be gone through (like three containers of Matt's and mine college things - probably should just throw it all out!)

My plans for today was to work more on that. Ya, that didn't happen. Of all things I ended up going to church with Matt and the kids and cleaned a little and Matt painted a little (we are in the process of doing some reno stuff on our church). And then we went into town for a little while. And then I made homemade pizza. And after getting the kids all bathed and in bed, I am too tired to go down there and do anything tonight. So I am blogging.
So, even though my day did not go as planned - I'm okay with that. There's always tomorrow! (Have I ever told you that one of my biggest faults is procrastination?). Seriously, I do hope to get some stuff done tomorrow. Now that I have started it I am just itching to get it all done. Then I can start another project. Like the garage - AHHH!
Until next time...
2 comments:
Well, the upside of it all is that the Lord has provided a place for your "stuff" :) I'm not going to admit that my under the stairs storage is a mess and the garage needs some serious organization...nope, not gonna admit it ;) You aren't alone....we all have those little secrets :) Out of sight out of mind!
Yay for you! Good start on getting through that stuff anyway! We're in an almost constant state of purging in our house. I'm so thankful for the things that God has provided for us, but l know that we still tend to have too much STUFF!! :-) I'm sure your yard sale will be wonderful! GO you!!
Post a Comment