So what's the big deal? Well, I will tell you. First let me tell you a little about my mom. My mom is a wonderful example of a hardworking, self-sacrificing mom. She always put her family first, even if that meant sacrificing of her time, energy, sleep, or even things such as new clothes. But she had several things that were very special to her. One of them was this apron. It was a beautiful apron - the kind that has the part that goes around your waist and also ties up around your neck. It was a pretty smokey blue color with small white dots on it and had pretty white lace all around the edges. She loved it, mostly because it was made just for her by her very good and dear friend, Grace Maples (with whom she is still friends with today!). My mom LOVES to cook, and was always cooking, so she was always wearing this apron.
Okay, now back to the story. She held it up, and we all saw that the strings that tie around your neck we neatly cut off almost at the seam where they were sewn on. So, it was now unable to be used as a full apron.
Her question was met with a moment of silence, as we all took in the gravity of the situation, then we all looked at each other to see who was guilty. Naturally, we all looked to my sister, the youngest. It surely sounded like something she would do. But she denied it. My mom was so upset.
And I must tell you this - to this day, no one has taken responsibility for that dreadful act. There was a time that my dear sister confided in me saying that she did (she told me this many years later) it, but has since retracted her statement. All I know is that I did NOT do it. I would never do that, seeing as how I knew how much my mom loved that apron!
The topic of the apron comes up almost every singe time we are all together. We still will be blaming each other, or give our take on who did it, where, and why (our own live version of Clue! ha!) but still, the culprit has never been found. I think my mom still has the apron. But it has never been the same. Never. I suppose we will never know what really happened. And that drives me crazy!
So what brought this random post on? Oh, c'mon! Unless you are brand new to my blog, you know that I can be the Queen of Randomness! But actually it was spurred on when I read my sis's blog tonight about her 25 Things I Don't Want You To Know About Me. And, of course, it came up in that. I was laughing about it, then decided that I would go officially on record and say that it truly was NOT me. Seriously. Amanda thinks it was Andrew..... :-)
Until next time...
1 comment:
I remember you telling me this story in college :) I also remember being lined up with my 3 brothers and older sister and asked "alright, who did it?" Ah the memories :)
Post a Comment